Intro - happy to be here!

Site Member Introductions

Moderator: Whiterook

ctewks

Intro - happy to be here!

Postby ctewks » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:24 am

Hi there - My name's Chuck and I'm a wargamer (chorus: "HI CHUCK!")

I've been fascinated by historical wargames for a long time. My motto has always been "I'll play anything once!" and there have been few games that I wouldn't play twice given the chance.

My mainstay is Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) - It's, for me, the perfect balance of complexity, abstraction, realism and chance.

Other titles and systems I like include the COIN games from GMT, Combat Commander (a great step-down from ASL when my brain is fried) and Churchill (one of the best 3-player games I've ever played.)

Looking forward to participating in the groups!

-Chuck

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intro - happy to be here!

Postby Whiterook » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:33 am

Thanks for joining up, and Welcome!!!! Explore the boards and get a feel for the place.

ASL representation here is at the beginning stages, and its my hope to see that expand greatly. I agree with your assesment of the game, and I'm having fun learning it with the Starter Kit system. I started last year, but got side-tracked with work and some family medical emergencies, but I've re-dug into SK1 and plan to get to Nor'easter again this year if my money (medical bills) holds out :lol: :shock: I plugged the event last year, but Carl N. Is slated to join and asked to put up a thread. I can't even begin to say how impressed i was with Nor'easter last year!

Several members have expressed thier interest in ASL.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

ctewks

Postby ctewks » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:31 pm

What Duncan is doing is interesting. Perhaps I could do something similar utilizing full ASL rules?

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:45 pm

Welcome to the forum. You have joined at just the right time as ASL in various forms is just getting some play here, with me just dipping my toe in the waters as well, being mainly a minis gamer myself.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:32 pm

Yes, ctewks, as a moderator of the Play-by-Post Wargames section, I highly encourage anyone wanting to start a new game. You can choose to just moderate a game, or you can moderate and play at the same time. We don't have real rules for that--just have fun and try to keep everyone happy as much as possible!

And welcome! Please don't hesitate to ask any questions. I've modded many games myself on this forum.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:58 am

Very cool! Welcome. I'm an ASL and COIN fan as well.

Return to “Introductions”