Hello!

Site Member Introductions

Moderator: Whiterook

SimonG

Hello!

Postby SimonG » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi. Emery (Whiterook) sent me a message asking if I would post some pictures of my model builds, so here I am! I'm afraid I only have a passing interest in wargaming (I dabbled as a teenager) but as long as I remember, I have built plastic scale models of anything that interests me. I guess most stuff I've built has been military...mainly WWII. I've built several dioramas over the past couple of years, but recently I've mostly done larger scale aircraft. Once I've got the hang of this site, and figured out how and where to post, I'll put some pics on. Bye for now!

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Hello!

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:04 pm

Despite using Emery as a reference, I have approved your post. ;)

There are some facets of wargaming that you'll find go hand in hand with model building; some model companies produce wargame material. You might find some wargame interesting from a modeling perspective. A WWII game that might interest you is "Bolt Action", WWII miniatures that use vehicles primarily in 1/56 scale, but 1/48 has been deemed acceptable.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:41 am

Hi Simon

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing some of your builds, and you never know, we might get you started on gaming again.

Frank
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:18 pm

Hi simon....thanks for joining! I love your model building work, so I am very pleased to have you join the site. Down towards he bottom of the forum, in the Area 51 (Modeling Lab) catagory is where all the modelers hang out, as well as wargamers gain inspiration.

To me, as Derek mentions, Wargaming and Model Building go hand in hand in many respects, as we are dealing with miniaturized versions of the same thing often...namely, military personnel and hardware. I've often found it interesting that overseas, I've heard miniature gaming enthusiasts calld their miniaturees, 'models'. Truly, the line is fine separating the two, in my view.

What has interested me more and more over recent years is, the movements to use 1/72 scale models and smaller in wargaming; and even larger scale! Bolt Action, as mentioned, is the HOT system right now, where wargamers are using everything from 15-28mm miniatures to 1/72 scale plastic models.

Anyway, enjoy the site and have fun :D
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Introductions”