Site Member Introductions

Moderator: Whiterook

Green Commander
Private
Private

Introduction

Postby Green Commander » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:03 pm

Hi everyone!

I was very excited to discover this stie. I look forward to chatting with you in the future.
Never forget that your real adversary is the dice.

https://armymenwargaming.wordpress.com/

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Introduction

Postby Whiterook » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:32 am

Hi....welcome to the site!!! :D

I'm really glad you found us and decided to join up. I think you'll really enjoy what we bring to the table, in hobbies we all love and enjoy. We're mainly about Wargaming here, but also have a nice little home for model building and just plain having fun.

We love to play games here too, in a play-by-post fashion.....it's slow but that's the beauty of it, as its at your own pace. A lot of the games just ended, but more will be starting soon. I hope you'll jump in on some!

What games are playing? ...and what are your Wargame favs?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Green Commander
Private
Private

Postby Green Commander » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:49 am

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I mostly play tactical, skirmish-level stuff using toy army men as miniatures - the rules are usually light enough for my 11-year-old to play with me, and the minis are cheap. :) I also love building terrain and re-purposing old toys for wargaming.

The rules I most often use are Combat Storm and Flying Lead. Mostly beer and pretzel stuff, not very competitive.

I also do a fair bit of board/solitaire wargaming - light rules again, like Memoir '44, Hold the Line, Battle Cry, and B-17: Queen of the Skies.

I plan to start digging into the forums later today, so thanks again!

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:01 pm

Green Commander wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome!

I mostly play tactical, skirmish-level stuff using toy army men as miniatures - the rules are usually light enough for my 11-year-old to play with me, and the minis are cheap. :) I also love building terrain and re-purposing old toys for wargaming.

The rules I most often use are Combat Storm and Flying Lead. Mostly beer and pretzel stuff, not very competitive.

I also do a fair bit of board/solitaire wargaming - light rules again, like Memoir '44, Hold the Line, Battle Cry, and B-17: Queen of the Skies.

I plan to start digging into the forums later today, so thanks again!

I play quite a bit of Memoir and have written over sixty scenarios. But lately I've dug into Tide of Iron. Just a little more complex than M44 and I like the different tanks in the game. I have been writing scenarios for TOI lately and a couple of them have ended up on 1A Games web page. Welcome to the forum.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Green Commander
Private
Private

Postby Green Commander » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:25 pm

Thanks. Have you posted the Memoir '44 scenarios anywhere? My son and I would love to play some...

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:22 pm

Green Commander wrote:Thanks. Have you posted the Memoir '44 scenarios anywhere? My son and I would love to play some...

I'd start with The Airfield, for some real cool stuff Ron has done with M44.

I played M44 REAL heavy in the past.....it's not only great for solitaire, but a great tool to teach new wargamers. I'm about to start a heavy load game (as Game Master) with Lock 'N Load, but later down the line of you and Ron want to go head to head in a M44 game here, I can probably set something up for you two.

On the army men....check out josta59 (Scott), who used the same concept with I believe Two Hour Wargames or such. At one point, I think he was using 6-pack bottle cartons!!!! :shock: I love the concept of using army men, as I used to buy bag after bag (well, pestered my mom to buy them :lol: ) and set up huge battles on the floors if the old familyhouse, haha!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:29 pm

Green Commander wrote:Thanks. Have you posted the Memoir '44 scenarios anywhere? My son and I would love to play some...

Go to the Days of Wonder website at http://www.daysofwonder.com and search for the official scenarios or follow this link to go to the scenarios I created; https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/content/scenariofans/?sellang=en&selshow=&selsort=&seltext=#searchtag Then type "50th" (without quotes) in the Author box and hit search.

A lot of my Pacific Theater scenarios have recently ended up in a Best of Scenarios From The Front document that someone put together on boardgamegeek.com I'll post the link to that too; http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/133421/recommended-memoir-44-official-and-sftf-fan-create

As for playing a game here, I'm open once I get moved. Maybe August after the settling?
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:27 am

A bit late, but welcome to the forum, sounds like you will find a lot to interest you on here.

Frank
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:54 am

Welcome to the site, much of what you play is familiar to those here.

There is a book: "Big Battles for Little Hands" that you might find valuable.

https://www.amazon.com/Battles-Little-Hands-John-Surdu/dp/188958410X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466344067&sr=8-1&keywords=big+battles+for+little+hands

I am a shameless advocate for "Blackwater Gulch" a Wild West shoot 'm up game. sets of five miniatures cost fifteen bucks apiece, the rules are downloadable for free.

http://www.gangfightgames.com/blackwater-gulch/

Bolt Action is a WWII skirmish game that might be of interest to you.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:26 pm

Frizz, I once played Bolt Action at a convention, not a bad system, but I usually prefer board games like Memoir 44 and Tide of Iron, where (I feel like) I don't have to paint the miniatures and don't buy them in groups for large amounts of money. Here is a pic of the game I played at the con:

The Americans won!

Return to “Introductions”