Self-Introduction

Site Member Introductions

Moderator: Whiterook

Farfuture

Self-Introduction

Postby Farfuture » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:48 pm

My first wargame was Avalon Hill's D-Day in 1962. I so wanted to play that game, but to a 14-year-old with no one to help me along, it proved just impossible. Fast forward to 1972 and the Illinois State University Games Club: they had a special program that paired a would-be gamer with an experienced teacher. They hooked me up with a geography professor who told me to pick any game I wanted and he would show me how to play. I picked SPI's Fall of France (and no one told me that was too ambitious a choice) and we met in his office on a weekday evening. We completed one turn, but along the way he explained hexes, movement points, Zones of Control, and all the other things that you absolutely need to know to play board wargames.

I spent virtually every evening in the ISU Student Union (they stayed open all night back en) with Loren Wiseman and John Harshman, playing games, talking about games, and ultimately designing games for us to play. I have been in the hobby (and the industry) ever since.

When D&D came along, I got into role-playing, but I have never left board wargames behind.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Self-Introduction

Postby Frank » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:44 am

Hi Farfuture.

Welcome to the forum. I have approved your first post so just 1 more and you are a full member.

We do have people on here with interests in game and scenario design so hopefully you will find plenty to talk about, or, just kick back, play games and chat.

Frank
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:04 am

Welcome, Glad to have you, I've noticed we have added many players lately that have been into the hobby for 20+ years. As a gamer from the 70's, I'm always glad to meet other older gamers.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

McCoy

Postby McCoy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:19 pm

Welcome to MWF!
Reality - The worst game ever!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:39 pm

Wow....that was an awesome Intro!!! :D It really put me in that ISU Student Union and hammering away at great games!!! One of the things I love to hear is the start....what started the interest in Wargaming and when.

'In the industry'..... Now you've got my curiosity up!!! Would love to hear more.

I wish I knew more about and fell into Wargaming back in college; though, to be honest, in the little town I wass from, no one I knew played them, LOL. My closest version of your story is a guy I played Panzer Leader with at lunch at one of my first jobs :D

...the important thing is, we got into gaming! :D

Have fun exploring the site and see you around the boards.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:28 am

Welcome aboard!!!

I second Em, I'm very curious (lucky of I'm not a cat...) about your start into the hobby, and the creative part too...

When I was teen I loved to peek at the shop's catalogs and read all the names of the BIG games and wondering about them...

IIRC Wiseman worked for GDW, right? I "see" in my mind's eye this name printed on the "Traveller" RPG credits....
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Return to “Introductions”