Hello from NC

Site Member Introductions

Moderator: Whiterook

gocamels
Private
Private

Hello from NC

Postby gocamels » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:19 pm

My name is Mike, and I'm a North Carolinian born and raised. My user name is a nod to my alma mater (extra points if you can guess).

I played a few wargames as a kid, but living out in the country with no real access to most of the games that were available in my youth (1970's and 80's), I missed a lot. I didn't play a lot of board games at silk until my kids started looking at them a couple of years ago. They started playing Marvel Legendary, etc , but my youngest son really loves all things military, so I started looking into games that would draw him in. Ars Victor and Conflict of Heroes quickly hit our table, and he and I both fell in love. Unfortunately, he's of the short attention span variety, so he doesn't always want to sit and play.

So now, I'm going back to grab some of the games I missed (Squad Leader, Panzerblitz, Ambush!, etc). Hopefully, my next acquisition we'll be Raid on St Nazaire in this rewind to my childhood.

McCoy

Re: Hello from NC

Postby McCoy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:31 am

Welcome to the MWF!
Reality - The worst game ever!

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:35 am

Hi Mike.

Welcome to the forum. I am afraid that as a Brit your camels reference went completely over my head :lol: .

I don`t know if you have had a chance to look round the site properly but we play quite a bit of L`n`L as either play by post or a group participation game so hopefully you will find plenty to interest you.

Frank
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:21 am

Ah, I know The Old North State better than most natives.... I've explored the eastern half voraciously, when I was stationed at Fort Bragg.

Consider miniatures as a gaming option, they'll likely help to hold the attention a little bit longer. ;)
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:21 am

Welcome to the forum :D We're glad you took the time to sign up with us. I am a HUGE Lock 'N Load Publishing fan so, we'll especially have a lot to talk on that subject :D

Great games listed in your Intro.... Particular standout for me was Raid on St. Nazaire, which is one of my Top 3 favorite wargames of all time; and Ambush, which I've owned for a decade and yet to play :shock:

I look forward t seeing you around the forum boards!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

gocamels
Private
Private

Postby gocamels » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:08 pm

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

I'm a big LnL fan. I have the new editions of Heroes of Normandy, Pacific and Nam, and I have a copy of World at War Blood and Bridges coming from the FB wargame pay it forward group.

I have been going through the rules to Ambush, but I'm not ready to set it up, yet. I'd like to get a good grasp on the rule book first. This week I've been playing Vietnam Solitaire Special Edition and Reconquista from White Dog Games. Once I get a decent handle on them, I'm planning to graduate to Don't Tread on Me.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:27 pm

Can't go wrong with Lock 'N Load!!!!! I'm a huge fan, too....what I like best is the LNL rulebook covers so many games, which is a Big Bang for your buck. My problem is, I keep forgetting the rules, because I don't play much (having so many other systems in the pipeline). I started a Day of Heroes game with josta59 here on the site, and got sidetracked with trying to prepare for my forst Advanced Squad Leader tournament in a couple weeks.

I've not gotten too far into the World at War series yet, but I have the majority of the games in the series. Nations at War is awesome, too!!!

I have to admit, I don't know a lot about DVG games, and only have become aware of them from Dan's Facebook posts. Perhaps you can start a thread on it in the Board Gaming Discussions area for general chat on it; or the Armory, to educate us on the game.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Introductions”