A horrible player, but a ASL PTO fanatic

Site Member Introductions

Moderator: Whiterook

hongkongwargamer
Private
Private

A horrible player, but a ASL PTO fanatic

Postby hongkongwargamer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:27 am

Heya folks - this is Jack and I am very pleased to make your acquaintance.

I am an Advanced Squad Leader player. I jumped straight into ASL whole hog a few years back and never looked back since (straight from being an avid FPS video gamer).

I play anything ASL but PTO is my preference. I am a horrible player (too dumb) but I am an ASL fanatic. I am into caves, nights, seaborne assaults etc but I haven't yet tried para/glider landings or DTO.

Having said all that, I am known to dabble into GMT DOWNTOWN on the side. I tried to pick up Line of Battle (Civil War) but my time's all taken up by family and ASL every weekend!

Rgds Jack

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A horrible player, but a ASL PTO fanatic

Postby 50th » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:53 am

Hi Jack, I am a long time wargamer myself. My name is Ron and I've seen ASL played at a game shop that used to be in St Louis, but it looked complicated, so I never tried it myself. I play Memoir '44 and Tide of Iron, boardgames that are a lot easier to play. I welcome you to the site and to the forums. Have a look around, check out the games in progress, and also don't forget to check our our facebook page, MWForum Dropzone. I don't know if you are into modeling at all, but we have some expert modelers showcasing their models on the site on Area 51. Welcome!
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Hiya Jack....glad you joined up and I'm very pleased to see another ASLer here at the forum. There's a couple of us that play it; Duncan has been playing some time, and I am a Starter Kit newb :lol: I've been to the Nor'easter tournament the past couple years, and this year really set the hook.

I started a small ASL presence on the boards and plan to build it in time. I'm planning some Starter Kit games here soon; I've been working some of the membership into it slowly (like me, haha) with introductions to like-SK games, such as LNL Band of Heroes/Heroes of Normandy.

Myself, I'm a longtime wargamer...mostly board, but I have a good deal on miniature gaming experience, too. So, I get the going in whole hog-thing... these games are addicting!!!

Have fun and look around. Please feel free to jump in posting, especially on the ASL boards. Let any of the Mods or myself if you have any questions or need help maneuvering the different boards. Enjoy...and thanks again for joining! It means a lot to me to have such great wargamers hanging, contributing, and having fun here...it's what it's all about :D
'Rommel...you Magnificent Bastard...I read your book!" - Gen. Patton

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:43 am

Welcome to the site Jack. Got to say that ASL confuses the hell out of me :lol: . though I am currently dipping my toe in the waters with what people have called ASL light, L`n`L.

Enjoy the sit and have fun.

Frank
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

hongkongwargamer
Private
Private

Postby hongkongwargamer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:57 am

50th wrote:Hi Jack, I am a long time wargamer myself. My name is Ron and I've seen ASL played at a game shop that used to be in St Louis, but it looked complicated, so I never tried it myself. I play Memoir '44 and Tide of Iron, boardgames that are a lot easier to play. I welcome you to the site and to the forums. Have a look around, check out the games in progress, and also don't forget to check our our facebook page, MWForum Dropzone. I don't know if you are into modeling at all, but we have some expert modelers showcasing their models on the site on Area 51. Welcome!

Heya Ron - thanks for replying! I enjoy admiring the craftsmanship of expert modelers but I simply don't have the talent. I know I will enjoy Area 51.

Thanks very much!

Rgds Jack

hongkongwargamer
Private
Private

Postby hongkongwargamer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:03 am

Whiterook wrote:Hiya Jack....glad you joined up and I'm very pleased to see another ASLer here at the forum. There's a couple of us that play it; Duncan has been playing some time, and I am a Starter Kit newb :lol: I've been to the Nor'easter tournament the past couple years, and this year really set the hook.

I started a small ASL presence on the boards and plan to build it in time. I'm planning some Starter Kit games here soon; I've been working some of the membership into it slowly (like me, haha) with introductions to like-SK games, such as LNL Band of Heroes/Heroes of Normandy.

Myself, I'm a longtime wargamer...mostly board, but I have a good deal on miniature gaming experience, too. So, I get the going in whole hog-thing... these games are addicting!!!

Have fun and look around. Please feel free to jump in posting, especially on the ASL boards. Let any of the Mods or myself if you have any questions or need help maneuvering the different boards. Enjoy...and thanks again for joining! It means a lot to me to have such great wargamers hanging, contributing, and having fun here...it's what it's all about :D

I am a strange one. The last time I played wargames before getting into ASL 3 years ago was when I was a teenager playing Squad Leader. I chanced upon a copy of Squad Leader on eBay and that led me to the discovery that it's still very much "in play". However, I never got back into Squad Leader. My path led me to Advanced Squad Leader. I started playing ASL 2 months after I bought that copy of Squad Leader (picked up the "Mother of All Rulebooks" next and it's been a 4 to 5 2-hour sessions every week nonstop since!!

I really appreciate the help and the absolutely warm welcome. I hope I can contribute to the community!

Warm regards,
Jack

hongkongwargamer
Private
Private

Postby hongkongwargamer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:04 am

Frank wrote:Welcome to the site Jack. Got to say that ASL confuses the hell out of me :lol: . though I am currently dipping my toe in the waters with what people have called ASL light, L`n`L.

Enjoy the sit and have fun.

Frank

:) Take a certain kind of strangeness to get into ASL .. you should be glad!

Thanks very much for your warm welcome.

Rgds Jack

Return to “Introductions”