Gotham

TV Shows & Mini-Series General Discussion

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Gotham

Postby Frank » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:28 pm

We have just started getting this in the UK, just watched episode 4, and I think it`s great. The story of Bruce Wayne after his parents murder and his early life in Gotham together with Jim Gorgon and some of his enemies. I think the young Penguin is perfect casting, weird looking, creepy, malevolent and a complete psychopath.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3749900/

To someone who grew up with the Adam West batman in the 60s this much grittier version is a revelation. The American comics were just too expensive over here and you could not rely on getting consecutive editions anyway so a whole generation of kids thought Batman was this very camp character :roll: .
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gotham

Postby Frank » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:44 pm

This is just getting better and better :D . Robin Taylor as Penguin just steals the show. To be fair the other young villians have not had anywhere near the screentime that Penguin has, or the character development but I still don`t think they would be as good. Sean Purtwee as Alfred is also a great character.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:36 pm

Frank wrote:To someone who grew up with the Adam West batman in the 60s this much grittier version is a revelation. The American comics were just too expensive over here and you could not rely on getting consecutive editions anyway so a whole generation of kids thought Batman was this very camp character :roll: .

I find that very interesting. Although I've read that Batman actually was a somewhat camp character in the comics until maybe the mid-'80s or so. So although you were late to the grittier version, maybe you weren't as late as you thought.

Americans who weren't into comics, or who didn't bother with DC Comics (like me), weren't introduced to a darker Batman until the 1989 film by Tim Burton and the subsequent animated series. As a child in the early '80s, I knew Batman as one of the Super Friends from the cartoon show. Certainly no darker than Adam West.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:51 pm

I had not realised that, I have read some of the books including Knightfall, I think it was. The one where Batman gets his back broken by Bane, also a collection of short stories about the Joker which runs the gamut from fairly cartoony to dark and gritty. Whatever, I am really enjoying the newer Batman stuff.
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:59 pm

Frank wrote:I have read some of the books including Knightfall, I think it was. The one where Batman gets his back broken by Bane...

Right, that was 1993. That was a popular story, but by then we all knew Batman as a darker character thanks to the 1989 movie.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:45 pm

I suppose it was about then, I did not get either till they came in one of our remainders bookstores.

As a kid in the late 60`s , early 70`s, I was able to get some of the Marvel stuff as we had two comics called Fantastic and Terriffic which had the X Men, Avengers, Thor, Iron Man and the others which had about 3 or 4 pages of each in each weeks edition. Short of getting an expensive subscription to the proper mags that was the only way we could get the American comics.
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:02 pm

Sad! I still enjoy X-Men stories.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:43 am

Apart from the odd book I have not read any in ages but I think from Marvel it was the Avengers for me, the first lot, I was never too sure about when Hawkeye, Quicksilver and the Witch joined, possibly because I stopped reading them soon after so never got a chance to get used to them.

Oh, and Doc Strange, I used to like him. I`ll be interested in seeing just what they make of the film when it comes out.
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:00 am

I'm the type who would rather read a comic than watch a superhero movie any day. Something about the effort they put into the drawings that speaks to me. I never think it translates well to actors on film (or whatever they're using nowadays).

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:44 pm

I think that about 95% of the time I would go for print over film, not really sure about comics as it has been so long since I read one.
Gandalf the Grey

Return to “Rec Room”