Truly inconceivable casting decisions

Non-Military Movies Discussion

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Truly inconceivable casting decisions

Postby Frank » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:46 pm

There has been a fair bit of talk recently about Tom Cruise being cast as Jack Reacher, and I can see why. Reacher is 6`5" and physically imposing, Tom Cruise is, well, Tom Cruise. I always pictured Dolph Lundgren myself.

I think the worst one of all though is the casting of Bill Denborough in the film of Stephen Kings book, It. He is described as a thick set,slow talking guy who has gone prematurely bald, I always pictured Ed Harris (The Right Stuff, The Abyss). Who did they cast?....Richard Thomas, ..John-boy Walton, and with a waist long pony tail just to add insult to injury
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

McCoy

Re: Truly inconceivable casting decisions

Postby McCoy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:04 pm

The airhead is the sole reason to why I've not bothered with seeing Reacher. I've read quite a lot of Child's books and no I can't stand seeing that pompous idiot portraying Jack Reacher.
Reality - The worst game ever!

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:37 am

There are some films that I am certain I will never see unless they come on the tv and there is nothing better to watch at the time and pretty much everything with Cruise falls into that category.

I have read all the Reachers except the last one which is sat on my to read pile as we speak.

I did come very close to being quite rude to a woman in our local supermarket a couple of months ago when, while browsing the book section, heard her say "oh, look, they have done a book of the film", pointing at the re-released Killing Floor which had Cruises face on the cover.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:50 pm

Hahaa.... this is a great thread! Love the last in the supermarket, part!

I think Cruise has a lot to be desired, personal-life-wise, but he does have some fair acting chops when it came to the Mission Impossible series of movies, which weren't too bad.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Public Cinema”