Hunger Games

Non-Military Movies Discussion

Moderator: Frank

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hunger Games

Postby Whiterook » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:44 pm

An outstanding movie....I thoroughly enjoyed it! So much so, I am reading the first book now!!! I didn't really know the female lead of the flick from any previous movies but, she was top notch! Woody Harrelson was very good, as always....and the mother was the same actress that played the mother in Caprica, the Battlestar Galactica Prequel.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Hunger Games

Postby TRDG » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:13 pm

Just rented and just got done watching it. Sorry to say I don't really see what all the fuss is about, nothing ground breaking here.

Glad you got into it Em, but I'll pass on this one.

Cheers

Tom

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hunger Games

Postby Whiterook » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:56 pm

Thanks Tom. I went into it with a full nod to the fact that it is based on a series of Adult Youth novels. With that in mind, I wasn't expecting anything super sophisticated....which it definitely isn't. What it is however, is a very nice hidden love story set in a "Lord of the Flies" -type backdrop.

I've always enjoyed Science Fiction short stories....which this had a flavor of, even though it isn't a short story, obviously. What that 'flavor' is, the presentation of a concept, and playing with it on the surface. The complete opposite of that flavor would be something like Star Wars or Blade Runner....which gets deep in the weeds, so to speak. That make sense?

Hunger games is just the forefront story setup....Catching Fire, the second installment, digs into things deeper; and Mockingjay takes it home. Well worth the read, by the way.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Public Cinema”