Prometheus (yep an Alien prequal by Ridly Scott, sort of...)

Non-Military Movies Discussion

Moderator: Frank

RAF Liberators
Private
Private

Re: Prometheus (yep an Alien prequal by Ridly Scott, sort of

Postby RAF Liberators » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:06 pm

I bought the Blu-Ray the other day, my take is this: It was a good movie and would have been awesome if I'd put myself away in a box from the moment it was first due to be released. I think all the hype, marketing and attention has in some way detracted from what should, and is a good start to what could be another epic journey.
Look past the cash cow and see the different directions the search for the Engineers could take, it has just handed back the reigns of the Aliens universe to the writers and I'm looking forward to the ride :)

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:17 am

Cool, a couple more fans, maybe..

It is quite different than any of the other Alien movies, or even Preditor ones thank god.

I expected more, and less than what we finally got to see, and thanks for the posts and I hope you get to watch it soon Scott!!

Cheers

Tom

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:32 am

Anyone have any luck yet in watching this yet?

I'll watch again then review this week, promise!! :oops:

Cheers

Tom

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Not watched it yet as I usually find out that a film does not live up to the hype and I am usually disappointed so I will waiting until the dvd comes down a bit in price and get it then.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:47 pm

I hear ya, by that time it should be out on cable as well, and you could just rent it.

IF your not to much of an Alien or Ridley Scott fan then thats what I might have done as well.

Cheers, keep us posted bud!!

Tom

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:58 pm

I love the Alien films and really like some of Scott`s work, it is just that I am never sure when a series takes a turn like this, are they just cashing in on a franchise name, or just going too far when a series has just reached a natural end
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:06 am

If this was a one off like the last couple, I might agree, but right now there will be a second film. AS to the dirrection RAF did nail it on the head, a new direction, and it could be interesting.

Cheers, I think, in the end it should catch your fancy, can't wait for any news on the next one!!

Tom

KG_Panzerschreck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby KG_Panzerschreck » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:04 pm

I want to buy this movie really badly. I just cant affort trivial expenditures right now. Hopefully after the new year...
Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:53 am

I'm about to pop this in again, then review it, as I promised!!!

I see our leader Em saw this as well, so I'd expect him to be along here any time!!

Cheers

Tom

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:59 am

Ok here we go

A nice opening scene where we see various "primal" terrain pass us by, as In you can note a shadow, that "strangly looks like some kind of...... space craft!!

Next we see a tall, bald and very muscular humanoid being in a robe walking down to a cool HUGE waterfall, carrying a small metal container.....

The being opens up the strange metal container and we see some kind of moving black substance, he drinks it. He statrs choking and as he does you see an alien space ship take off from out of the misty clouds.

The "black goo courses through its entire being, breaking his body, and DNA down in a most horrifying way. AS he fall aprt from head to foot he falls down the waterfalls and his essense is mixed in with the water.

Loved the opening, could'nt think of a better and more interesting scene to kick this movie off.

UNTIL you get the 4 disk Collector Blu Ray set, and have most of the deleted scenes!! They cut out that there were actually a group of big bald beings in different colored robes, kind of looking on andGuiding" this young Engineer to his glorious death that gives this world its vital life with his own and the Black Goo's DNA!!

Then we cut to.....

A rock face cliff and a woman chipping away at it, and discovering a cave, with some speciifc cave drawings.... This is Dr Shaw, the main star of the show, besides someone else later in the show.

She calls to a guy further down the cliff and he comes running, a Dr Holoway, who gets very excited about the drawings. Showing a tall figure pointing to the stars, a specific set of paterned stars.....

I kind of wish we could have spent a bit more time with these two while on earth.

Then we cut to.......

A spaceship, the Prometheus

Cheers, to be continued!!

Tom

Return to “Public Cinema”