Alien. Covenent.

Non-Military Movies Discussion

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Alien. Covenent.

Postby Frank » Wed May 03, 2017 3:52 pm

This is next on our to see list, should be in our local cinema in a couple of weeks. The trailers look good, and it is nice they are getting back to the original design alien. Prometheus was a decent film but it just did not seem to fit in with the rest of the series.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Alien. Covenent.

Postby Frank » Sun May 21, 2017 8:16 am

This a really good film. It hits the ground running and never really stops. It does answer some of the questions left over from Prometheus such as why David gave the alien dna to one of the scientists, also partially answers why the "builders" were developing the aliens.

There are a couple of fairly large plot holes that hopefully will be addressed in the next one but nothing to really moan about. We will be looking for this on dvd when it comes out.

We did re watch Prometheus before we went to see this and on a second viewing that was a lot better than it seemed at first, possibly because we were not just expecting a straight forward prequel as were were the first time round, possibly because we watched it on a digital tv this time, not our old portable analogue one that we had in our bedroom when we first saw it and so picked up a lot of detail that we missed the first time. If you do go to see this then I would recommend watching Prometheus first if you can.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed May 24, 2017 10:25 pm

The original scared the shit out of me....like that Vin Diesel flick, Pitch Dark. To be honest. I loved Aliens, but it's just too damned much for this dude. I applaud not only the fact that you like it, but also the missus. My wife Karen, was the one who dragged me to Aliens. I'm not sure I ever forgave her :lol: :shock: :o :lol:
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:20 pm

We do both love horror flicks, and our tastes are pretty identical except for one glaring exception. Musicals. Amelia and I both love musicals and that is one of the things I miss since she moved out. The pair of us both sitting there sniffing happily as the hero gets the girl in the end, and Glynis wandering through muttering "rubbish, has it finished yet?"
Gandalf the Grey

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:11 pm

My wife does not do scary! She screamed one night when we saw the movie Jaws on TV! I know what you mean about that movie, "Pitch Dark". Wished I hadn't seen it. Another one you don't want to watch is "Event Horizon". A friend of mine told me about it and that he had wished he hadn't seen it. Well, I was forty something and got so curious about it that I finally rented it one night. Stupid movie gave me nightmares for weeks. Same with that "Sixth Sense" movie. I saw it one night. Every time the people upstairs made a noise, I thought someone was in my living room. Back then, I lived in an apartment on the bottom floor. I like movies like Jurassic Park, or the first couple of "Alien" movies. These are movies that couldn't happen in real life. I can't watch programs like criminal minds because I get worried about someone coming in our place at night. There really are crazy people out there, so those things scare me more than alien monsters. Just watch the news!
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Return to “Public Cinema”