Rogue One

Non-Military Movies Discussion

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rogue One

Postby Frank » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:26 pm

I know I am very probably the last person to see this but it opened just before Xmas on the day the schools broke up and there was no way I was going to join a herd of kids to watch a movie, when they went back was early enough for me. This was the first of the series I have seen since the original trilogy and I really enjoyed it.

Totally different in tone to the originals, it seemed a much more adult film and it did throw up some interesting differences to the original, like the fact that Leia seemed to have been in the battle and not was not just a random recipient of the Death Star plans which would make her a lot more bad-ass than it seemed in the original.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Duncan

Re: Rogue One

Postby Duncan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:43 pm

I have issues with crowds and noises. This was one of the two or three movies I saw last year. Matinee in the VIP lounge. Loved it.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:11 am

Pretty similar to us, before seeing Doc Strange last year we had not been to the cinema for years, Star Trek 6 I think, so the new style cinema was a nice surprise. Bigger seats, more leg room, and, if you can go out of normal hours very quiet. We don`t have a VIP lounge at our local one, though there are two rows of better seats, which, if there is hardly anyone in then you get told to ignore the seat numbers and just sit anywhere.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:10 pm

Frank wrote:I know I am very probably the last person to see this but....

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I haven't seen it yet :shock: Very odd for me, actually....but my problem is the cinema is a little over a half hour away, a couple towns over from me. I just haven't been able tto maatch up my work scehdule with getting there. I am hoping to see it before it leaves the big screen, as I am sure it's someething that looses a little when scaled down to our big, little TVs.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:57 pm

My daughters work at the local Cinema; My wife and I can pretty much get in for free whenever we want. We rarely avail ourselves of this option... I dropped one of the girls off at work; the Missus was out of town and I had nothing to do that evening; The only interesting movie was "Rogue One". Since this was a movie my Wife would watch I decided to skip it.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:33 pm

I think it is a very good film, I have only seen this and the original trilogy, unless you count giving up on the first in the second trilogy half way through on the tv. I did not bother with the rest after that.
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:23 pm

Frank wrote:I think it is a very good film, I have only seen this and the original trilogy, unless you count giving up on the first in the second trilogy half way through on the tv. I did not bother with the rest after that.

It just left our theater so, I'll have to wait for its' release to DVD or HBO.

I agree with what you're getting at with the trilogies:

Episodes IV, V, and VI were phenomenal, and my hands-down favorites.

I struggled with Episodes I, II, and III, though I liked Niessen and McGregor (and the chick was hot), but it just didn't ave that magic I'd felt with the first (middle) three.

Now, Episode VII once again reached phenomenal status with me, though it pissed me off no-end that Han... (well, you know). I think it's also going to be tough to deal with Leah, and they may now be regretting what happened with Han. I expect VIII and IX to be phenominal.

Luca originally said back in the 80's that he'd had a 9-year arc in his head for the epic. I think it will go far beyond that, with the original arc, as well as more stand-alones.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:40 pm

It passed me by.... likely, I won't see it. :(
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed May 24, 2017 10:22 pm

Still haven't seen it myself, but I do plan on watching it when it comes on HBO in a billion years from now

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Thu May 25, 2017 2:41 pm

I missed this one because of being in the hospital, then after getting out, I couldn't drive myself and my wife was in the hospital having back surgery. So we rented it the first chance we got and took it to a friend's house where he has a 60 something inch TV and watched it on a big (but slightly smaller) screen. I loved it. I am looking forward to the next one coming out. I think it added to the story, even though it fits in as number 3.5 (just before "A New Hope".)
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Return to “Public Cinema”