Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Non-Military Movies Discussion

Moderator: Frank

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Postby Whiterook » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:07 am

Amazing. EPIC. Saw it last night and I was thunderstruck with how well it was done. To me, it really got back to that magical storytelling so deftly achieved in A New Hope through Jedi (Episodes IV, V, and VI). I in fact, felt nostalgia of being transported back to my 1977 teens-years and sitting in the cinema to A New Hope. That was a good thing!

The new blood characters were VERY good... great, in fact. Love Rey and Finn. Kylo Ren ...well, the judge is still out for him for me as to what I think of his character. The Head Honcho officer of the bad guys was a bit over-the-top for me; and Captain Phasma didn't do much for me. But I loved the new Rebel characters, especially the lead X-Wing pilot. And I super-loved the small detail of showing how Stormtroopers evolve to be...very cool!

But I walked out of the cinema last night, crushed... and still feel the same. I actually went out to dinner with my wife after the movie, and she had to drive home 'cause I needed to get shitfaced with a giant margarita! ...I was that distraught. Truly.

I don't want to give anything away, so I won't elaborate... other than to say something was taken away that I wasn't (and still am not) prepared to loose. It was like a piece of my childhood ripped out of my chest, a bloody gaping wound left to fester. That was a bad thing.

I did some reading afterwards, on why the director and writers went a certain direction with a certain something... and I get it. But I think they're wrong. I think they took the cheap way out. But.... I'm hurt and pissed ...so time will tell.

I don't think I'm alone in my anger... but I will also say: SEE THIS MOVIE! It is on the whole, awesome and a great work of cinema art.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Public Cinema”