Wonder Woman

Non-Military Movies Discussion

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Wonder Woman

Postby Frank » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:12 pm

We have just been to the cinema to see this and both really enjoyed it. We watched the Linda Carter series back in the day and it could not be more different to that. This is a well plotted, well scripted serious film, unlike most of the other superhero ones though there is the expected culture clash humour. Setting it during World War 1 really helps as well as it makes it more believable that she could actually prevail.

A good supporting cast as well, with Chris Pine as the suitably heroic male lead and their rag tag team work well as well.

I can really recommend you see this.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Wonder Woman

Postby Frizzenspark » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:38 pm

Linda Carter IS Wonder Woman.... Her Show was great for the Seventies..with any series you're gonna get some dud episodes and it was a little campy in the first place. Linda Carter has been nothing but supportive of the new film.

It is rare that the Modern Superhero movies pique my interest. This one does, in many ways harkening back to the television movie and imagining what a current cinematic team could do with it.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:23 pm

I did actually enjoy the series though it seems quite light and frothy compared to the film. A bit like the 60`s Batman series compares to the latest films, they are both good in different ways.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:55 pm

I just saw this today with Karen...I took the afternoon off to catch the matinee, on the last day being shown in the local cinema so, I just made it :D ...actually, that's an important statement because I said to her on the way out, 'Thank God we saw this on the big screen!' Honestly, it was so impressive a movie that seeing it on the cinema screen is a must.

I too, do not catch a lot of the modern super hero flicks at the cinema, and i's more usually on the home tv. It just seems to work out that way time after time. But of the few I've seen on the big screen, this is the one I am most glad of.

Oh, and I'm in love with Gal Gadot! <<sigh>>

Until today, I would have said no one could beat Linda Carter as Wonder Woman...and though she's still the ultimate, Ms. Gadot is equal level, if not actually now my favorite portrayal. I also loved Chris Pine in this....I've a bit of a man-crush on this dude! He's an amazing actor...and together, the two actors (Gadot and Pine) really shine.

The visuals were simply GORGEOUS. I laugh when the Oscars are on, because they consistently brown nose the elitist crappers, and miss incredible work like this.

As Frank said...I highly recommend this movie!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:38 pm

After recommending it so highly I am relieved you liked it :D .

I am not sure where the next one will be going as the ending seems to be set in the present day so will it be set now, or done as a flashback.
Gandalf the Grey

Return to “Public Cinema”