INTEREST CHECK: Two Hour Wargames training sessions

Call for Players/Play-testers & Game-play Interest Checks

Moderators: 50th, josta59

josta59

INTEREST CHECK: Two Hour Wargames training sessions

Postby josta59 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:55 pm

I know, you all have decades more experience with gaming than I do. But Two Hour Wargames is a whole different animal. Their designer has observed that the more experienced wargamers take longer to understand his games because the mechanisms are so different from what they're used to.

I've fallen in love with the THW reaction system and want to play it with someone who's interested in learning. I'm in contact with Ed, the designer, and can get any questions answered within 24 hours. So I think I can be a good tutor.

Please respond here if you're interested in learning how to play these games. I don't have any of the actual games available for purchase, but I'm well practiced in playing Two Hour Wargames of my own design using the free Chain Reaction 3.0 rules, which is all anyone really needs to play these games as long as they have some imagination.

Of course I'll go at your pace, and I can use either a virtual game board or photos of toy soldiers, whichever you prefer. And we can have fun as we go by playing some demo games.

This will be a totally free service, of course. My reward will be having someone to play with me using these awesome rules.

Scott
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Call for...students? Two Hour Wargames training and play

Postby Whiterook » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:24 pm

Well, as some may have noticed, I answered the call in taking on Scott in a game of CR3 GM'd by Luca, which I am very much looking forward to. I did however, want to post on this thread because I think what Scott is offering here is the very embodiment of this site: members helping members. I personally very much admire that, so Kudos Scott. Apologies for taking so long to recognize that.

I HIGHLY encourage members to take up offers like this, and offer such on their own as well. I like the concept of a personal walk-thru. Perhaps this concept of walk-thru's, in time, can turn into a board all it's own?

I just started the Chain Reaction 3.0 Final Version Rules today...Scott is correct in what he mentions from the designer: It is definitely a different animal than what most old-school Grog's (Wargamers) are used to. I'm a Pieces so I don't like change; but I am also an Adventurer and I like throwing myself out of my comfort zone! I am just 10 pages in (of arond 30 for the meat of the system) and I can tell already that the main system mechanic of "Reaction" is TOTALLY different than what I am used to. I also see it probably plays more 'realistic' than anything else I've ever played in a miniatures game. How exciting is that!!??!! Truthfully, in scanning the PDF in advance to reading...for free 'Lite' rules, they are more meaty than I thought. What a gift from the designer!

As for the 'Lite' part: These are a watered-down (I mean that kindly) vrsion of Two-Hour Wargames' signature ruleset, 5150...of which I initially bought in order to play my Stargate SG-1 miniatures game. Incidentally, I started reading Battlefield Evolution: Modern Combat expressly for that reason; and have stopped mid-read to re-focus on CR3. It will be interesting to see which system I will go with for that endeavor, but I digress from flying off-topic...what little Ive read of CR3, and more refined 5150, I believe I am seeing something every member interested in miniature gaming (or Wargaming in general) should read; it will definitely take you out of your comfort-zone, as believe me, the fish in me is flappin' around like I've been thrown on shore!!!!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Thanks, Em! I totally forgot I wrote this, because my next step was to ask people in the THW forum if they'd be interested in playing by post. And to my surprise, they were all about it! And I think running a game there inspired Luca to run one, so now I get to play! It worked out very nicely.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:39 pm

I too am mesmerized by the THW reaction system...I read, re-read and played a couple of games with Chain Reaction and then, with some doubts I bought 5150 Fighter Command...

I see myself as an "air warfare" guy in front of all, but I had the gut feeling that the 'reaction' system (that rule the most part of THW games) will do about right in a space fighter game.

The 'chess' aspect of space dogfights (if he does this I can counter with that, and he can reply with....) is there as a thin presence cast on the system but the scenarios evolve in something different from the starting situation. I'm playing a patrol mission and....but wait until I finish the game and polish the journal...it seems a movie script, an adventure of a RPG...you got the idea!
I volunteered to help in designing an air warfare version...when the designer will finish other projects! It will be fun!

In THW your soldiers often do the wrong thing (for us commanders) but a conservative one, duck back from the enemy! You have a personal unit to move around as in a "classic" wargame, but the other react to the situation in a realistic way....

Returning to the tutor-gaming: it's a wonderful chance to try something new and to find new players to game with!

When my gaming life it was more intense my group gamed a lot of different rulesets using the tutor system: one of us learned the rules and maybe invited some expert player outside our group and all together we learned-by-gaming...fun and easy!

Here I and Scott played one (almost two!) Firepower game and I was happy to support Scott on some issue he could have with the rather complex ruleset...and he is a nice gentleman and play with him is devoid of all negative aspects of gaming.

Now Em join us in a relaxed-mood game, outside the map of course: on the map the mood will be quite...more...frantic! :mrgreen:
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Jimkc

Re: CALL FOR PLAYERS: Two Hour Wargames training sessions

Postby Jimkc » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:01 pm

I have the rules but never had a chance to use them. I would be great to learn the game.

Jim C

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:00 am

Hi Jim, I'd be happy to help you out. Nothing like learning as you play, and that's easy with THW because we can play on the same side. I'm on vacation until Friday and wasn't sure what I'd do this week. Wanna play?

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:03 am

Wait, holy s.... We live in the same town??? *faints*

Talk about a Christmas present....

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:55 am

Scott... I heard a loud "thud !"...are you okay ?????? ;)
V6!

Luca

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:58 am

Fortunately, I was still in bed. Thanks for asking.

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:07 am

Oh, I see....fainting you bumped your skull on the headboard....it explains the loud noise!!!! ;)

Thanxs for the update, now I'm less worried!

BTW still in bed at 9 a.m. !!!! NOW I'm envying ;)
V6!

Luca

Return to “Radio Shack”