INTEREST CHECK: FUBAR campaign

Call for Players/Play-testers & Game-play Interest Checks

Moderators: 50th, josta59

josta59

Re: Interest check: FUBAR campaign

Postby josta59 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:16 am

I was always excited when Daina showed up in an issue. An obscure but exciting character.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: Interest check: FUBAR campaign

Postby josta59 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:42 am

An update on this: Since there's been no interest, I've discovered that solo wargaming is a "thing" and it's cool, and there are ways to make it challenging and interesting.

I'm continuing with the four-player idea, and I'm thinking that for each game I will consider myself one of the players and use dice to make decisions for the other players. Then I'll switch and play as a different player for the following game, and rotate positions as the campaign goes along. Thus for me it will be sort of like two co-op campaigns at once, with two separate overall missions that intertwine with each other. That was my own original idea!

So I'll be intermittently trying to place Soviet missiles in Nicaragua and trying to stop the placement simultaneously, and I'll be playing against dice to remove bias in any single game. Sort of like playing against a computer AI in a video game but switching sides for each individual skirmish.

I've collected seven large maps from Ghost Recon: Advanced Warrior 2 and will be placing them on a larger map somewhere in Nicaragua to help with the story flow. I hope to play five or so games on each map, resulting in 30-40 total games. The result of each game will directly affect the following game by providing or denying certain advantages to the winner or loser, respectively.

GRAW2 map_shoreline_crop.jpg

The four players are:
  • The Ex-Forcers, a group of retired U.S. Force Recon Marines under contract with the Pentagon. They'll start with 16 elite troops that won't be easy to replace.
  • The Contras, 20 FDN guerillas trained by the CIA and working with the Ex-Forcers. They have access to light vehicles, anti-armor, anti-aircraft, and artillery, and they'll be easy to replace. Having the advantage of surprise in most scenarios, they'll often initiate first in Turn 1.
  • Vympel Gold, 15 elite Spetsnaz sent to oversee the missile installation. Like the Ex-Forcers they'll be tough to replace.
  • The Sandinistas, 22 seasoned government infantrymen working in secret with the Soviets. They have access to armor, artillery, and helicopters and will more often start hidden in the hard cover of buildings.

I'm open to any ideas or suggestions.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: INTEREST CHECK: FUBAR campaign

Postby josta59 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Just a note to say that I don't want to run a FUBAR game anymore, but I'd love to teach someone the new game I designed that's just as simple (and more fun, in my opinion).

Funny to see the Oktober Guard in the post above...I played a game with them last week with my new rules. 'Twas awesome.

Return to “Radio Shack”