Wait for the damned turkey!

General Discussions Non-Wargame Related

Moderators: Whiterook, josta59, Lucky Luke

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wait for the damned turkey!

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:27 pm

It'd not even Thanksgiving holiday here in the United States, and I am already seeing Christmas decorations and sales going up!!! It started before Halloween, this year!

I was on work travel in Reston Virginia this week (among other areas in the DC stratosphere), and decorations were up in the streets!!! :shock:
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Wait for the damned turkey!

Postby Frank » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Don`t forget that Yule starts in mid November and goes on till mid January :lol: , we already have some of our trees up and plenty of rings about, a couple of straw goats under the tree.

Got to admit that before Hallow`een seems a bit premature though.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Frank wrote:Don`t forget that Yule starts in mid November and goes on till mid January :lol: , we already have some of our trees up and plenty of rings about, a couple of straw goats under the tree.

Got to admit that before Hallow`een seems a bit premature though.

:lol: True. True!

Our Christmas tree goes up Friday....the day after our (United States') Thanksgiving holiday. A tradition for my family through the years. I heard the first Christmas song on the radio this morning! It's truly starting earlier every year.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:18 am

Our decorations start going up after Bonfire night, Nov 5th, and have done for nearly 40 years. We took Amelia to a bonfire night firework display and something went wrong and we were nearly hit by a stray rocket, it terrified her so when we got home thought about how to take her mind off it and thought about putting the decorations up which worked, though that started a tradition of early decorating.

I can understand the streets being decorated as they need to be closed off to get them up which only usually happens on Sundays so they do need to start early, and as they are, at least here, tied into the normal street lighting then they come on when the lights come on.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:10 pm

I used to always put my Christmas decorations up the day after Thanksgiving too, but last year I wasn't in the best health and the decorations didn't go up until I was in the hospital with a broken femur. I am hoping this year my wife will let me put my Star Trek ornaments on the tree (like she did two years ago). I like seeing miniature starships all around the tree lit up.

Christmas 04 001.jpg
Star Trek Tree 04
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:03 pm

'Bon Fire Night' is very interesting....I just looked it up. That's what I love about our members here, being from many different counties....I love seeing the different traditions.

I used to enjoy Thanksgiving a lot more than I do these days.... different family situations have reduced it to a minor holiday for me; though I prefer to concentrate on the part of giving thanks for the bounty we are blessed with in life. I know what Ron means, in health and life's various curve balls placing the holidays in strange waters sometimes; but we are truly blessed to be living and loving life, so the Thanksgiving holiday is about blessings to me.

I always take the next Friday off from work, which is the day I oddly enough, am able to appreciate the holiday just past better. Odd, really. But part of that is, relaxing at home, putting up the tree, and smelling our personal turkey cook (used for dinners and more importantly, turnkey sandwiches for weeks to come! :o :D :D :D

Return to “Canteen Break”