Acoustic guitar - a long time interest to learn

Your Other Hobby-related Interests for When You're Not Wargaming

Moderators: Geek44, Hagen

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A New Hobby?

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:51 pm

My kid's the musician in the family, she can play just about any instrument in a few hours. She's in the Ohio Dominican Marching Band..... Go Panthers!!!!!

Good luck with the Gee-tar.......
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:15 pm

So Em how are the guitar lessons going?
Let's do this the old navy way, the 1st one to die LOSES!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Fell out of practicing the guitar, but resuming again now....I've missed it!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Em, that's fantastic. I've been playing seven years, myself. Another thing we have in common! I'm trying to work up some new material to play at a coffee shop. Let me know if I can be of assistance. Most of what I learned was from the internet, but I do have some part-time instructors now.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

KG_Panzerschreck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby KG_Panzerschreck » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:32 pm

Wow this is great Em. I wish i had a dollar for every drummer i knew that came out from behind the skins and picked up an axe lol.

I used to play for about 15 years. That is until i got arthritis in my left hand, im right handed, and that ended that.

I never took lessons, i couldnt afford them. But i had a brother who played folk music, blue grass and jazz {he was a hippy in the 60's lol} who taught me my chords before he moved away. Then one of this buddies started me on songs like "Tom Dooley", "Puff the Magic Dragon" and "Hole in the Bottom of The Sea" just to name a few, but you get the idea lol.

Growing up in the 70's i turned into a little rock & roll metal head. In the 80's I started teaching myself by Tab. Id buy Tab books for my favorite bands at a music store about 40 miles away and then pratice til i thought id die. I saved my money and bought myself an Gibson SG-62 & an Orange half stack in 1984. Im a huge AC/DC fan and i had to have the same thing Angus Young played. Plus i just love the sound of a Gibson. I got good enough to play in a band but by 1990 i started getting bouts of arthritis in my hand and it ruined my playing. I sold the stack but i still have the guitar. The arthritis hasnt gotten worse over the years, but ive never been able to shake it. It runs in my family.

I worked with a great friends band for years running their sound board and being their tech guy, but it was never the same. I got outta the game in 1996. I miss it in some ways but in others i dont. I miss playing.

I wish you all the luck in the world Em. Keep it up.
Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks guys! :D

I'd stopped lessons back in April or May of this year (2012)....basically had a year of lessons under my belt. Work got nutty, as well as some other "stuff" in life and I took a break. Something felt a bit off for me and I needed to figure it out. What that 'something' was ended up being was, work and life are keeping me plenty busy and, trying to work in a weekly commitment is just too much for me. It worked out to being a luxury I simply could not afford money or time-wise. I had got on a bowling league earlier in the year and after two back-to-back 8-10 week sessions, nearly drove myself bonkers. I hate to say....I'm a bit strung out thin that even modeling and wargaming have been reduced.

Back on the guitar, my teacher was excellent but, I found the last month or two I'd been going was for perfecting concepts I knew I was having success in but, it was exhausting getting there. I found myself leaving the lessons energized to a degree but knew what I had to do going in and going out. I think I need to beat the axe on my own awhile and then go from there.

This is my guitar.....

:D

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Acoustic guitar - a long time interest to learn

Postby Whiterook » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:40 pm

Got the axe hanging on the wall now.....bought a wall mount and, what a difference in space! Oddly, with it hanging there on eye level, I am much more tempted to pick up and play. Odd, but on the stand on the floor...I'd walk right by it like a piece of furniture....on the wall, it calls me!

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Yes, absolutely, the more available it is, the more I practice. Little things like that help a lot! I wonder how the really great guitarists spent so much time at it. Maybe they weren't good at talking to girls, so they just played their guitar instead...and it led to lots of girls!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:51 am

My son got the Chuck Berry style hollow body electric for playing at weddings. Sounds great.

Much better than my efforts. I only have four covered that I can claim to be proficient with. In no real order
they are :

1. Radio.
2. Cassette.
3. CD.
4. DVD.

Getting to grips with Ipod/Ipad. Should have that down soon then I will be able to play any music I like.

Thinking of drummers and other instruments, my eldest is a drummer and was in a silver band in his
teens. They were playing at the town hall once in front of politicians and councillors etc....
Part way through their conductor (nice bloke with a good sense of humour) was introducing the different
sections of the band. He left out percussion so one of the other drummers called out what about us ?

He said to the audience that the drums were up the back and they put them there to be out of the way of
the real performers. My son couldn't let that one go passed so he called out to the conductor and asked
if he knew what they did with drummers who couldn't play properly...
Conductor said no and asked what they do with them.
My son called back - "They take one stick off them and put them out the front".
My get up and go never got here in the first place

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:18 pm

That's hilarious! One of the greatest drummer come-backs EVER! Love it!

Return to “Hobby Center”