Acoustic guitar - a long time interest to learn

Your Other Hobby-related Interests for When You're Not Wargaming

Moderators: Geek44, Hagen

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Acoustic guitar - a long time interest to learn

Postby Whiterook » Sun May 29, 2011 4:07 pm

Well, heaven help me....like I don't have enough other interests taking up my time, I am adding a new one to the list. I found myself a great guitar instructor and I start lessons this Thursday! :D

Acoustic guitar. The one I own isn't exactly a primo-level axe, but it's good enough to get me going and see how far I get; and if the intrument and me are meant to be together. I've worked on learning the instrument on my own, but have not made much progress. It's time for some regimented and serious instruction. I'm very excited!

This is one of those things where I've always wondered if I could do this. It's something that has sat on the back burner for decades, really grabbing my attention in my early 20's. Three decades later, I've finally reached the point where I am drawing the sword out of the sheath and facing the dragon on equal ground. This is going to represent 1-1/2 to 2 years serious commitment on my part if followed through to fruition.

Let's see where this adventure will take me!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A New Hobby?

Postby Hagen » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:47 pm

How are the lessons going?!?

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm learning acoustic guitar!

Postby Whiterook » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:16 pm

A month ago, I finally took the plunge....I am taking formal guitar lessons!!! :D

I spent nearly two decades as a percussion instructor for drum & bugle corps drumlines....if you hit it, I can play it. My last year touring n the road was 2000. I haven't done anything musical since. My mom was the musician of the family....self-taught. She played guitar and I never knew it! She played it in her younger years, and she unfortunately passed when I was 13, so I had no idea until one day my dad found her guitar and propped it in a corner of the house. "where'd the guitar come from?", I asked. "Your mom's!" Wow. I have since found four pictures of her playing the guitar. I figure my musical abilities (what they are) came from her.

The guitar always intrigued me. It's actually akin to a percussion instrument in many ways....many guitarists have commented on that fact. So maybe that's another reason it resonates with me so much (pun inended).

I have an acoustic/electric guitar which is by NO means a top-of-the-line model. It's good enugh (barely) to get me to a point where I see if the guitar and I were meant to be together. So far so good. I can tell you one thing....my fingers are KILLING ME!!!!!

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: I'm learning acoustic guitar!

Postby Frank » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Hope the neighbours agree :)
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I'm learning acoustic guitar!

Postby Whiterook » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:57 pm

@ Frank:
If I plug in the amp (I've an electric/acoustic), it'd be a potential headache for them at the playng-level I am right now (meaning: I suck)....so I just play acoustic...it's far less painful for all involved! :lol:

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:15 pm

@ Hagen:
Had 4 or 5 lessons now. The instructor told me this week in fact, that am ahead of the curve! That was good to hear. I was teaching drumlines in Drum & Bugle Corps for almost two decades and touring as a drummer so music is not a stranger to me. Playing guitar is.....very different but some similarities. It has been said that guitars are percissive t one degree or another....I am finding that true.

I'm having a blast!!!

Just gaining my calassus on y left hand fingertips, so pressing down on the steel strings is getting a little lesss painful....thpugh it's a little weird getting used to little feeling in the fingertips.

BTW....I had just noticed I had two threads up on the same topic.....part of getting older, I guess :lol: I merged the two threads here.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:04 am

My mate always said that if he was going to learn any instrument it would be the piano as you could not stand your pint on a guitar.

Frank
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:05 pm

LOL....well, I'd never put it past me to find a way to prop a bottle of Molson's Ale on my acoustic!

Learning two alternate ways to play the G-chord, in order to easier hit the A and C chord easier...and learning the C-chord, whick my index and ring finger aren't playing nice in the playground together! I can't quite get that stretch yet.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Been progressing slow but sure....three months under my belt and I believe 7 chords sounding fairly decent. Currently working on the Beatle's "Yellow Submarine"!!! Having a blast with the instrument, and just picked up a new guitar that is super nice.....still a beginner guitar but that's all I need right now.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:59 pm

Workin' on a new piece...."Tuesday Afternoon", by the Moodly Blues. One of my wife's favorites and one of the songs I wanted to learn for her!

Return to “Hobby Center”