2016/17 Gallant Knights Fantasy Hockey Team

Your Other Hobby-related Interests for When You're Not Wargaming

Moderators: Geek44, Hagen

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

2016/17 Gallant Knights Fantasy Hockey Team

Postby Whiterook » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:55 pm

I decided to play fantasy hockey again this year! The Gallant Knights are on the ice again!!!

I played a couple years back (2014/15). I made every rookie mistake a rookie could make, in building a team on the Draft back then; and had to put in a lot of work through a long season to draft better players off the Waivers, and made some pretty slick trades. The team sent from dead last to first through the Playoff's and into Finals....

But the very last week of the fantasy season was going into the real life Playoff's, and all my good players were not played!!! It was one of those things where, the fantasy leagues' schedule should have cit off a week or so sooner, to compensate for this. Mine wasn't the only team to suffer, but....in my teams' case, I went from first place to second in the finals because of it; and the team that one was simply, not as good as mine. I know that sounds braggadocios, but it was simple fact. It pissed me off. I didn't play last year because, I was still pissed off :x It didn't help that the 1st place team owner was all glib and bragging about his smooth handing of his team.

Well, the league owner contacted me and I explained what happened. He said he understood and would see what he could do to offset something like that affecting the owners of the teams, so I agreed to play again.

We are in week 8 currently. I didn't think to post sooner but, for those interested:

My players....

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 6.58.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 6.58.11 PM.png (59.52 KiB) Viewed 1738 times

My goalies....

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 6.59.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 6.59.37 PM.png (40.82 KiB) Viewed 1738 times

And the current Week 8 standings....

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 7.06.03 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 7.06.03 PM.jpg (93.86 KiB) Viewed 1738 times

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 7.07.31 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 7.07.31 PM.jpg (87.49 KiB) Viewed 1738 times

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 7.07.40 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 7.07.40 PM.jpg (50.65 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2016/17 Gallant Knights Fantasy Hockey Team

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:53 pm

Standings thus far....

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 11.44.34 AM.jpg
Dec 12th Standings

IR (Injured Reserve) has been a killer for many teams this year, as there's been a ton of injuries...not only from the World Cup just before the season started, but also during the season. The game has just gotten so fast, that I think it's resulting in a lot of injuries, too.

One big bonus to the IR thing was, one Team Manager dropped Steven Stamkos, f the Tampa Bay Lightning!!! :shock: :o :shock: I couldn't believe my eyes at that one. That manager had so many guys on IR that he ran out of IR slots to place them in and he decided he had to dump some players. Stamkos? Major sniper!?? That's OK...I snagged him up and placed him in my open IR slot!!! :D Even if he doesn't play the rest of the Season, I designated him a Keeper for next year. NO BRAINER!

The league started allowing 'Keepers' (6-players) that you can automatically carry into next year. Stamkos would surely have been a Keeper for the other manager. This was a GIFT!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Going into the new year, the Gallant Knights still hold 1st place.....

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 8.37.41 AM.png

Going into the final stretch of the season has been challenging for the Knights, with top line goalies Carey Price (Montreal Canadiens) and Tuukka Rask (Boston Bruins) seeing a lot of loses, even though they've played extremely well. Keeping things rolling have been strong performance from back up goalies Cam Talbot (Edmonton Oilers) and Matt Murry (Pittsburg Penguins).

My sniper forwards of my draft, keep scoring great numbers....but picking up overlooked and quality players have made a powerhouse!

With the conclusion of this week....

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 8.46.14 AM.png

5 weeks remain in the fantasy season before playoff's!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:39 am

Week 17 February 6-12, 2017) of the 2016/17 Kick Save Fantasy Hockey League saw the Gallant Knights till in 1st place in their Eastern Conference, but also 1st in the League.

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 4.32.24 PM.png

It was a tough week for the goalies, where my top liners of Carey Price (Montreal Canadiens) and Tuukka Rask (Boston Bruins) both saw difficult games, where the score just didn't work to their favor. Too many Goals Against (meaning, the other team scored on them), which even if you won...it tears away at your nights' rating the more the other team gets it in your net. Worse, Price has been in slump for weeks, and the NHL's Number 1 Goalie has had his struggles.

The rest of the fantasy team however, have kept up the pressure on keeping the whole team solid.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:17 am

This just concluded Week 18 (February 13-19, 2017) of the 2016/17 Kick Save Fantasy Hockey League saw the Gallant Knights still in 1st place in their Eastern Conference, but also 1st in the League. They played against the Western Conference's No.2 team.

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 9.31.39 AM.png

It was a challenging week in that one of my two Top Goalies (Tuukka Rask) of the Boston Bruins, was not playing all week until last night, because the NHL has a Bye Week (a week off) for teams around this time, spread out over a couple weeks, and Boston was on a Bye. Even the Canadiens were playing short....so it was a week of the back up goalies; who, fared quite well :D It pays to have a strong second string line ....in the league, we can have up to four Goalies, and I have four; so, Cam Talbot (Edmonton Oilers) and Matt Murray (Pittsburg Penguins) are essentially my back up's. The strategy of their being picked up early in the Draft and Season was, they are both the NHL teams' No.1 goalie; so, I have four No.1 NHL goalies in my fantasy team. A very nice weapon!

Another thing that made it a challenging week was, I wasn't sure what I was going to have for my Boston Bruins players when they came back to the ice, since the they fired their head coach a couple weeks back and have an Interim coach. What that means is, a total team shakeup: A new playing style implemented by the new coach, and players who feel lie they failed their old coach (though, that's not really the case). Remember, 5 of my 25 players are Boston Bruins players, including their goalie! What I do know is, they've won all four of their games since the switch; and based on what I've seen, they have a new team dynamic in place that emphasizes speed, more passing in new formational skating (the four lines remained essentially the same), and a stronger net presence (being in front of the opponents goal and crashing the net....meaning, skate up to it like a bat out of hell and try and score). They are a much better Boston Bruins so far, and more like what us fans have been waiting for quite some time.

I haven't moved any of my players to Waivers in a long time, so that's a good thing. Sending a player to Waivers means essentially, you've let them go and they are available to other teams. The reason you'd do this is you have a player(s) not performing well, and you try bringing someone new in to shake things up. All my players are very strong....a few have their issues, but that's normal; it's a long season.

Injuries crop up at the end of the year, and I've fared well in having only one player on Injured Reserve (meaning, he obviously does't play). That Injured player was actually a surprise boon! Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay Lightning) is one of the NHL's top Snipers (goal scorers), and coveted in any Fantasy Leagues' Draft at the start of the year. He was on my list of 'To Gets'...but another team snagged hm before I could get to him. Well he had a very bad injury early in the year, and the owner had several injured players and was hurting to field a good team. The Kick Save League only allows you to put three players on Injured Reserve (IR) ...this means you can then pick up another player on Waivers to temporarily replace the injured player; or you could even drop the injured player permanently for a player off of Waivers. The team owner that had Stamkos had a LOT of IR's, and unbelievably, he dropped Stampkos to Waivers. Now, I knew this was probably a season ending injury for Stamkos (I'll be surprised if he makes it back in even for the Playoff's), but here's the cool thing....

This year, the League Manager adopted a 'Keeper' option to the league; which means a Team Owner can KEEP up to 6 players from this years' roster, that will automatically populate into next years' roster!!! :o :D That's HUGE. This allows the teams to pick 6 of their mega great players and keep them for next year. This will of course make things tricky in the Draft, as some of the top NHLers are not available for draft. But, I love it! So back to Stamkos....I knew I'd be able to keep him so, YUP....I picked him up off Waivers IMMEDIATELY, and then popped him into an IR slot. Love it!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:13 pm

So, for anyone following this...if anyone is indeed, following this :lol: ...let's look at where we're at:

There are three weeks (including this week) left in the Kick Save Fantasy Hockey League (KSFHL). Then, there are two weeks of Playoff's; followed by a third week, being the Finals. I'm in a strong footing, and am confident for the coming games.

Anything can happen, as players get hurt, and teams go into slumps...so, even a healthy lead can evaporate before your eyes. One must remain humble, but optimistic!

An interesting facet in a Fantasy league is making sure that in a regular NHL Season, you end ending your Fantasy League early enough to be a good distance from the NHL Playoffs, to allow the best chance for fantasy league owners to make it to the end of a fantasy season with all your players playing full tilt....

That wasn't always so in the KSFHL, as I had a bad previous experience a couple seasons ago (at not fault of the League Manager, as it just wasn't anything anyone thought of...getting to it!). It was so bad in fact, I didn't field a team last season, I was so frustrated. Basically, I busted my butt to fight for first place, only to be torpedoed by the actual NHL Season in the last week of the NHL 2014-15 Regular Season. My best players were being rested going into the NHL Playoffs! You see, for the NHL teams that are definitely heading into the real Playoff's, they want to make sure their Top Liners are healthy, and not put in possible harms' way for injury in a game that doesn't mean anything to their getting into the Playoff's (they'd already be in at that point) ...so, these teams tend to rest as many of those top players as possible (in other words, lesser minutes, and probably orders to "not do anything stupid!").

In short, it lost me first place at the Finals and bumped me to second. The end of the KSFHL Season, and start of the NHL Playoff's were simultaneous.

In a situation where all my players were actively and aggressively playing, that would have been OK....loose the Cup to a better team, fine. But to be stripped of the crucial players was heartbreaking.

This season, the Team Manager was kind enough to consider an argument by me on the above, prior to the KSFHL 2016-17 Season, when he asked me to rejoin the league, to shorten the Season. The NHL season ends on April 9th.... the KSFHL Seasons' Finals Week (March 6-12). Phew.

So, we are in the end run to Playoffs. Go, Gallant Knights!!!

Return to “Hobby Center”