Anybody get anything game related for valentines day?

Your Other Hobby-related Interests for When You're Not Wargaming

Moderators: Geek44, Hagen

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Anybody get anything game related for valentines day?

Postby 50th » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:30 am

I did!! My wife asked me what I wanted for valentines day, and I showed her Tide of Iron on a vendors website. She said, "order it"! So I got the game that I've wanted for years last week. I always wanted to buy it, but it was never in the budget (especially after getting married). But we got a (small) award for her workman's comp case and so we treated each other for valentines day this year. (most of the money went to pay off bills from the wedding two years ago, weddings are such expensive things). I will be making my own scenarios in a short time and posting them, and may do an online game sometime (when I get very familiar with the rules and have the time).
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anybody get anything game related for valentines day?

Postby Whiterook » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:54 pm

That's fantastic!!! Warning: Be extremely careful when putting the figures on the bases...specifically the Infantry; the little posts on the feet bend and snap easy of you press too hard off angle (at least they did when the game first came out, which is what my version is).
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:55 pm

I'm afraid I didn't get any games for Valentine's Day, though that certainly would have been nice :cry:

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:16 pm

I've played my first game. I bought some small containers at the dollar store to put pieces in. I'll add a pic later, we just bought a camera too. I discovered that some of the pieces have a little flash on them and wouldn't go into the holes, so I set them aside. I'll give them some extra attention this weekend and see if I need to trim a little flash off of the pegs. yeah, if a piece wouldn't go easily into the hole, I set it aside to avoid breakage. Someone once cut the pegs off and put magnets on the bottom of the soldiers and on the bases.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:29 pm

This is my Tide of Iron storage solution.
1. got rid of the box insert.
2. bought some small boxes and bags.
3. sorted everything into small boxes and bags.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:08 pm

50th wrote:I've played my first game. I bought some small containers at the dollar store to put pieces in. I'll add a pic later, we just bought a camera too. I discovered that some of the pieces have a little flash on them and wouldn't go into the holes, so I set them aside. I'll give them some extra attention this weekend and see if I need to trim a little flash off of the pegs. yeah, if a piece wouldn't go easily into the hole, I set it aside to avoid breakage. Someone once cut the pegs off and put magnets on the bottom of the soldiers and on the bases.

Now, that's an interesting idea...magnets. I never thought of that. The only real problem for me would be the expense, as magnets (good ones) aren't cheap! I use them on my Flames of War tank turrets and the well the base of the turret go in.

When I played TOI at Origins Game Expo many years back, one of the guys broke a few pegs in set-up and felt extremely embarrassed. Fortunately for the Origins' CABS folks, the games belonged to Fantasy Flight Games, who held the tourney. Those pegs are fiddly little things when new.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Wow....that's some brilliant re-boxing there!!!! Excellent work on that. I love that you use the Dollar store....that place is amazing for great gaming and modeling solutions.

I recently started using a P-Touch labeling machine for my stuff....you can now get them quite cheap. It made a big difference in my being able to find pieces very efficiently. A friend of mine had labeled his Squad Leader pieces in one of those old-style chit holders (those flat jobbies with all the little rectangular cubbies and flimsy see-through lid. I thought that brilliant. I started doing the same.

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:42 pm

I once played a TOI game at a con, but the GM had a lot of house rules that he used. But one thing he did was use magnets and washers on his TOI infantry squads. Here is a pic.

He also made his own sandbags and wire miniatures, as you see.

Return to “Hobby Center”