Art rediscovered! (...and a Walkabout concluding?)

Your Other Hobby-related Interests for When You're Not Wargaming

Moderators: Geek44, Hagen

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Art rediscovered! (...and a Walkabout concluding?)

Postby Whiterook » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:25 pm

I ended up joining two area Artist groups last week...one a Sketchers club, and the other a Plein Aire Group. I found them on a whim....or perhaps, destiny thought it the right time...and joined in blind faith. I've already been rewarded with making contacts in the local art community.

To support this new invigoration of an old passion, I spent part of the weekend digging out old art equipment! ...a 30 year collection of some cool stuff I completely forgot about. I'd purged some things over the years, over several moves in abodes here and there, but I was surprised at the amount and quality I still maintained stashed away in plastic bins and cardboard boxes.

My degree is actually, in Fine Art. I am primarily an oil painter, but I am also an illustrator and graphite pencil artist. There was even a small stint as a sculpture teacher in my early years, stuck in there on the odd angle. Paths drew me (no pun intended) down different avenues and art fell behind from the speeding vehicle of corporate and government employment.

I've felt guilty for decades, over that neglect of this craft. More than I could actually bear to, or effectively put into words. In some instances, I would say that feeling of neglect as being almost to the point of crippling. I've struggled over some long nights with it, and too long (and wasteful) periods of gloomy introspection and self criticism.

But I've been on what I call a "Walkabout" for a couple years now, trying to figure out where I've gone and where I am, and how the pieces of the puzzle fit together. The puzzle has grown to almost out of control proportions in recent years, along with some real challenging life events...

Sounds a little dramatic, if not "Drama Queen"-ie. And though many could find fodder for humor in what I speak of earnestly here, let me assure you it's been a very difficult ride. Why I am even confessing and sharing this, I have no idea...I guess I needed to get it out of my system, and I can think of no other group of friends I'd rather do that with.

I feel reinvigorated with my creative side...which has had plenty of opportunity to grow and play with things such as model building and wargame design....but this is different. I'd felt the "Artist" in me had died. That's a horrible feeling. A feeling I wasn't sure i'd ever recover past, back into art...to be honest.

But like many things....a switch flipped. I don't know why or how, other than a deep sense it was from what I'd learned on my personal Walkabout. I'm lucky.

I guess the moral here is: Don't give up onyour dreams. Or yourself. Lifee has a funny way of surprising you!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Art rediscovered! (...and a Walkabout concluding?)

Postby MAGNA » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:56 am

Perhaps you could post some pics for us. I haven't seen any of your work.
My get up and go never got here in the first place

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:59 pm

MAGNA wrote:Perhaps you could post some pics for us. I haven't seen any of your work.

I shall, my good man! Gotta find them, firrst, LOL!

Went on a sketching session this morning at a city park a few towns over...gorgeous Fall foliage at near peak color. Been awhile since I went sketching and it was good to re-start the habit; and it was with a sketching group, though only onee other person showed up : :cry:

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:34 pm

Bought a new art desk, and have set up a small studio space in my Man Cave. It'll be a long while before I can afford to fix up and trick out the art studio out back, so this will get me moving in drawing and illustrations....

image.jpg

It's a magnificent piece of furniture in it's own right, being solid wood instead of particle board and laminate. It was shipped from Vietnam, and is the most solid desk I've ever owned (it's my third in over a 30 year span). It is also the sturdiest example, and the thickest table top of any I've owned or used. Actually, the last time I worked on a solid wood art desk was the drafting class I had back in high school! A cool feature that is almost unheard of these days is the 90 degree angle to straight vertical the top can achieve....

image.jpg

She's a beauty!

The cool thing is, it will also serve as a gaming surface for solitaire wargames!!!

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:56 pm

That's a great looking table! Wouldn't mind one of those myself, for wargaming and model building though, an artist I am not.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:20 pm

Exactly right on the wargaming use...it's high enough to keep our rather girthy cat from jumping up (I think :shock: ) and making a meal of an armored division or two!. The table is 51.9" W X 32.1 D X 35" H, with a rich, dark compelling shade that's also an unusual feature...mort today are stark white and difficult on the older eyes!

It's composed of lenga wood, which is a tree native of the South American Andes region. Architecturally detailed with a metal flourish that also provides fantastic sturdiness. The summation of simple modern design meets old world charm!!!

Return to “Hobby Center”