Novel Wriiting

Your Other Hobby-related Interests for When You're Not Wargaming

Moderators: Geek44, Hagen

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Novel Wriiting

Postby Whiterook » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:36 pm

I'm taking a step into the deep end, working on my first full blown novel!

It's in the science fiction genre, and based on the events I developed for my space combat miniatures game. When I started developing the story line for the game, I drafted out a timeline of events that spanned from the beginning of the US-Russian Space Race in the 1960's, to the 7300's. Even at that early stage, I was thinking of backstory and threads, and it developed in my head beyond it's original intent.

Just shy of a couple weeks ago, I decided to develop a whole canon based on the universe I had created in my head; and then I chose a thread within that canon (the destruction of an colony on Mars by unknown foes), and drafted out a storyboard from beginning to end of that thread.

And then it began...a week of writing after work in spare moments has resulted in just finishing up on the first draft of Chapter 3, at just over 9000 words. The minimum for the book will be 40,000, but will likely go beyond that.

Next steps after (or in between) writing is the cover artwork, which I'll do myself; and then editing.

The end-goal is self-publishing it as an e-book for Kindle!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Novel Wriiting

Postby MAGNA » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:04 am

I'll be keen to have a read when you finish it next week.
My get up and go never got here in the first place

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:10 am

Self-publishing has open up a whole new world for aspiring writers.

Good luck with it.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:34 pm

Thanks guys....and I agree with Frank's assessment on self-publishing. Right now, it's a wide open canvas on which to paint. I'll be curious to see if at some point down the line, regulation of some sort hits. But for now, anyone with a story has pretty much free reign as compared to relying on publishers deciding if they like you enough to kick the crap out of you.

2/3rds through chapter 4....12,000+ words to date....and the sh, errrr....stuff is about to hit the fan.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:42 pm

A little teaser for you from Chapter 4...

Having arrived by shuttle at 0730, Admiral Lucien Trask sat comfortably in a deep padded leather chair, in small observation room perched high above the habitat zone of Apollo Station. He sat with the station's commander, and old Academy shipmate Bill "Wild Bill" Armstrong. Of course, no one but old academy alums would dare to call him "Wild Bill" these days, being a large and imposing man of 6'-4", heavily muscled, and with a deep husky voice that was as cold as his Montana roots. Trask sipped his steaming coffee slowly, enjoying the aroma and deep flavor nothing like the mud served aboard Prometheus. Apollo Station grew their own coffee beans and to Trask this early morning, it was a little piece of heaven.

"Bill," Trask said softly, looking up from his cup at the expansive view out the large observation window. "...every time I visit Apollo and sit in this chair, I marvel at that view just like it's the first time. Incredible."

"Thanks, Luke...believe it or not, even after being stationed as Apollo's commander 15 years ago, I still marvel at it myself. My favorite time is 2300, when I've had a long day, and I just sit here and take in the sight of the dimly lit quiet hours of the station."

"I didn't think Apollo had such a thing as 'quiet hours', Bill," Trask said with a hint of jest in his voice.

"Yeah, even a giant needs it's beauty rest," Wild Bill said with a chuckle.

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Whiterook wrote:A little teaser for you from Chapter 4...

Having arrived by shuttle at 0730, Admiral Lucien Trask sat comfortably in a deep padded leather chair, in small observation room perched high above the habitat zone of Apollo Station. He sat with the station's commander, and old Academy shipmate Bill "Wild Bill" Armstrong. Of course, no one but old academy alums would dare to call him "Wild Bill" these days, being a large and imposing man of 6'-4", heavily muscled, and with a deep husky voice that was as cold as his Montana roots. Trask sipped his steaming coffee slowly, enjoying the aroma and deep flavor nothing like the mud served aboard Prometheus. Apollo Station grew their own coffee beans and to Trask this early morning, it was a little piece of heaven.

"Bill," Trask said softly, looking up from his cup at the expansive view out the large observation window. "...every time I visit Apollo and sit in this chair, I marvel at that view just like it's the first time. Incredible."

"Thanks, Luke...believe it or not, even after being stationed as Apollo's commander 15 years ago, I still marvel at it myself. My favorite time is 2300, when I've had a long day, and I just sit here and take in the sight of the dimly lit quiet hours of the station."

"I didn't think Apollo had such a thing as 'quiet hours', Bill," Trask said with a hint of jest in his voice.

"Yeah, even a giant needs it's beauty rest," Wild Bill said with a chuckle.

That's pretty good Em!!! Good lord this could possibly be my first sci-fi novel ever! :D Keep it up.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:11 pm

Yeah, I'm excited for you. You've gotten further than I ever did. I tried a few times and never got past chapter 2. I still get ideas every now and then. I have a few books I want to read before I try again.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:06 am

I love your prose...it have a David Weber's flavor, as you are an history buff as him!

I hope your novel will be released in a Kindle's version also!
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Thanks guys...and yes, the book will be released on Kindle!

I got through Chapter 5, where the major battles are about to hit, and realized what it was that was ticking away with not feeling right: My command structure needed major tweaking, and a couple characters got major promotions! Had to go back to word one and work my way forward to re-establish proper command order. It's makes much better reading, now.

The past couple weeks have been mapping out ships and characters. This is planned to be a long running series of books in a BIG realm, and already have the next two books in mind.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:18 pm

Just an update....I'm still writing! I'm shooting for completion by the beginning of Fall. The hardest part of this project was, a large cast of characters. I couldn't start with a nice little package ...nooooooooooo.......I jumped into a full blown epic! Sheesh.

Return to “Hobby Center”