My other hobby

Your Other Hobby-related Interests for When You're Not Wargaming

Moderators: Geek44, Hagen

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

My other hobby

Postby Hagen » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Medals, I enjoy collecting them very much and the amount of history you can gain from researching one can be truly amazing.

It can be expensive but doesn't have to be, it's up to you. Although the more you get into it the better pieces you want.

West Wall Medal with parade mount, sometimes called a court mount.

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: My other hobby

Postby Hagen » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:04 pm

World War One Medal Bar, consisting of an Bavarian Medal of Merit 3rd Class with Crown and the Prussian Iron Cross 2nd Class.

The Bavarian Medal of Merit 3rd Class is strictly an enlisted award, the crown is for a second awarding or for a single act of major bravery.

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:08 pm

U.S. World War One Victory Medal with Meuse Argonne and Defensive Sector Clasps

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:11 pm

Another Bavarian medal, this one a Firemans Medal for 25 years service. This "neusilber" or new silver version was only made between 1928 through 1936 when the award was abolished.

KG_Panzerschreck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby KG_Panzerschreck » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:33 am

Nice collection.

I have my fathers WWII Purple Heart. Its priceless to me. He was never awarded the many other awards he was due, including a bronze star with a V attachment and the many others due to him. I sent to the Marines for them 12 years ago and they said they would send them to me, but they never did. I guess ill have to put his collection together myself.
Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:34 am

KG_Panzerschreck wrote: Its priceless to me.

I have some of my Dads awards so I know how you feel. Although you may be surprised to see how many named Purple Hearts and other medals are out there for sale.

Shame the Marines didn't come through for you. I know of a family of a WW2 Army vet who put together their Fathers medals and awards. The son framed it and put small brass plaques under each award, the medals are modern of course but it's an impressive display.

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Vaterlandischer Verdienstorden or Patriotic Order of Merit. A high ranking (3rd) East German award founded in 1954, it was awarded in three classes, Gold, Silver and Bronze. It was awarded to individuals and institutions for outstanding contributions to the state and East German society. Mine is a Bronze.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:59 pm

That's gorgeous! I love this collection of yours. I could easily see myself getting caught up in it.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Gunny0231
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Gunny0231 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:37 pm

Nice pieces. Only thing I have is a Panzer Assault badge in silver that an uncle took off a German tanker he killed at the Bulge. I keep thinking about getting started, but (DAMN, I wish I was rich!) not enough time nor funds.
On average it took five Panthers to take out a Sherman. Four would be in a ditch out of fuel or broken down, the fifth one just blows away the Sherman before catching fire by itself.

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Whiterook wrote: I could easily see myself getting caught up in it.

Very easy to do Em.

Return to “Hobby Center”