Hacksaw Ridge

Military Movies Discussion

Moderator: Frank

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hacksaw Ridge

Postby Whiterook » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:06 pm

Hacksaw Ridge uses a real-life pacifist's legacy to lay the groundwork for a gripping wartime tribute to faith, valor, and the courage of remaining true to one's convictions.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Saw this today and in one word, it was: Great

This one hit all the notes for me... shock and awe; I found myself jolted out of my seat cringing at one point; and more than one tear floating around the eyes. Yeah, I am sure the nut and bolt counters will try and pick apart the minutiae, but they will be missing the point: A poignant and moving story of a true hero... not a hero 'cause he wore the uniform (we hand out that title too freely, today), but rather because he earned it....

A 2016 biographical war film about the World War II experiences of Desmond Doss, an American pacificist combat medic who was a Seventh-day Adventist Christian, refusing to carry or use a firearm or weapons of any kind. Doss became the first conscientious objector to be awarded the Medal of Honor, for service above and beyond the call of duty.

Inspiring.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Duncan

Re: Hacksaw Ridge

Postby Duncan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:53 am

I'm going to try and catch a matinee next week on my days off.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hacksaw Ridge

Postby Whiterook » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:52 pm

I was doing a little reading about the background of this movie. It seems Des Doss turned down multiple book and movie deals for his story, including from Audie Murphy and Hal. B Wallis! Des' son said, his dad turned the offers down because they couldn't commit to his one requirement: It be true to actual events. Amazing.....that's Hollywood for you.

Mel Gibson turned down helming the project twice (same as he did for Braveheart) before finally joining onboard. He was asked to get onboard to make sure it spoke to both the violence and religious factors (Des was a 7th Day Adventist, and Conscientious Objector).
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Post Theater House”