Our War, BBC's Doc British War Afganistan (2007-12), youtube

Military Movies Discussion

Moderator: Frank

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Our War, BBC's Doc British War Afganistan (2007-12), you

Postby Whiterook » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:48 pm

I'll bite! ...will check them out over the long weekend.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:46 am

Thanks bud, you won't regret it, and when you have a chance all the other more up to date, so to speak, action Docs, are just as good, but this one is the best for sheer real life war drama.

Tough to watch sometimes but one should get a better idea of what went on, besides the mainstream media junk we all see or used to see on the nightly news, but it eaded away a long time ago pretty much!!

Cheers, now if I can only get Frank to check these out!!!!????

AAARRRGGG

Tom

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:20 pm

I just went on vacation 'til next Monday, so I should have some good downtime to explore these. I'll post comments as I go.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Holy shit.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:31 pm

OK. I needed to sit and process that for a minute.

I watched the first episode, "Ambush". If you've never taken anything more serious that I've said before, now is the time....you MUST watch this. That was, in a word, incredible. Other words would be: Powerful. Gut-wrenching. Inspiring.

Tom mentioned something to the effect that this series was more than the sanitized reports we get on the evening news, and he was absolutely rit and then some by several miles. Though told through through the eyes and voices of our brothers across the Pond of the 1st Battalion (The Vikings) Royal Anglian regiment ..http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/24651.aspx....it is no stretch at all to see this through the view of any soldier on this side of the Pond; and also in eras past. It shows the ground-pounders...the boots on the ground.

The unique thing about this documentary is the fact...and I had no idea about this....that the soldiers of the modern armies often carry their own personal cameras into war, and subsequently into battle with them. In effect, they are the war cameramen that hit the new he's in Normandy in '44, for instance. Mind blowing, really, because it shows an uncensored look and view at their war, from their perspective. And a step beyond that, with no hidden agendas of propaganda or by the books....it's raw data, raw footage, raw moments in and out of battle.

At times, I felt I was in a first person shooter game feeling of being there. It was nothing like I've ever seen. I had my Beats Pro Studio Headphones on and they picked up sounds of battle that made my jaw drop. I guess what I am trying to say is, it gave me a taste of what it was like, and it's scary as shit, man.

Another aspect to this was the soldiers, and how, by the end of the 1+ hours, I felt I knew them. In a sense, and I don't know how to explain this, I felt like they were mates. That in some way, they allowed me the briefest glimpse into their world, and their subsequent memories, and I felt honored.

Jeez....I don't know what to say beyond that right now. Honestly, you need to watch this and then sit and ponder on it. Thank you Tom!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:16 pm

Just watched episode 2 for the first season..."The Invisible Enemy". Another outstanding entry, which really gives you the feel of life at their base camp, and the patrol missions they had to go on. It brought the subject of IED's to the fore and the third episode sounds like it get deeper into that subject, but to digress a little, this entry really showed the personal side of the soldiers coping at base camp. You can't help one one hand, being amazed how young these guys are, and on the other hand being impressed as hell at their strength.

I found myself comparing in my mind's eye, that many of the scenes translate to other eras, as well. Perhaps technology and tactics make war different, but the ground soldier will always anchored in similar traits and 'the right stuff'.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:55 am

LOL

I thought so, just trying to pull you guys in to give it a glimpse is hard enough these days!!

Did you remember to watch the eps in full screen view? Click onthe small box like icon in the lower right hand side of the small screen.

Did you get a chance to see all 6 episodes yet?

Cheers, thanks for viewing sir! And you know you have a lot more to go in the other threads here, let alone the WW II ones!!! Ha Ha

Tom

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:45 am

Yup, I always throw these into full screen view. In fact, I watched them on my 17" laptop screen with Beats Audio and, it really made it more powerful stuff. This is an awesome series....takes a little time to get through but so worth it.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:31 pm

The one hour episodes go by so fast and almost magically click ontop the next one to see what happens, from my experience.

How far are ya now on the eps?

Cheers

Tom

Return to “Post Theater House”