Band of Brothers by Stephen E Ambrose

Military & Wargaming Books & e-Books

Moderator: Frank

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Band of Brothers by Stephen E Ambrose

Postby 50th » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:47 pm

I have started reading another Stephen Ambrose book, Band of Brothers. I read and liked D-Day, and have just started reading BoB. It was the book that started the HBO miniseries by the same name. I hope to get more of a feel for what it was like than just watching the HBO miniseries. I also hope for more information on battles to model scenarios after. So, what book are you reading?
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: The Little Known Front

Postby Double Deuce » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:12 am

The Little Known Front

Already read it through once before but decided read it again. Its not currently in print (the author only gets about 5-6 copies printed each year to sell at the 87th ID reunion) and the only way for non 87th ID veterans to get copy is to contact the author directly and ask him to print an extra copy for you to purchase. It is very detailed with much of the information coming directly from After-Action Reports at the National Archives as well as from interviews with the survivors many of the Belgium civilians.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Band of Brothers by Stephen E Ambrose

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:49 pm

I've read his Pegasus Bridge, quite literally from cover to cover, as even the introduction is vital to the story. The book would make an excellent movie....
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:00 am

Wow, I bet that is a good book! I'm beginning to really like Stephen Ambrose as an author. D-Day was an awesome read, and BoB is shaping up that way.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:42 pm

50th wrote:Wow, I bet that is a good book! I'm beginning to really like Stephen Ambrose as an author. D-Day was an awesome read, and BoB is shaping up that way.

It's a real page-turner.... even my teenage son read it......
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:25 am

I just finished "Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose, great read. I would recommend it to anyone who has seen or wants to see the HBO series "Band of Brothers" I once saw some of BOB on Military Channel. They had a marathon one holiday where they must have gotten permission to re-broadcast some. For anyone interested, I am working on a Memoir 44 scenario based on the capture of Foy and Noville from the book. Right now it's called "Attack on Foy", But that might change when I get done play-testing it. I might call it, "Attack on Foy and Noville", or "Battle of the Bulge, Foy and Noville"

I am now reading a recent buy, one of the Time/Life WWII series from the '70's that I have been collecting, this one called, "The Italian Campaign" (or something like that). I have about a dozen of that series. They have lots of pictures and are fairly large books. (Just not very thick, maybe an inch with cover). I'll take a picture of it later and put it here.

KG_Panzerschreck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby KG_Panzerschreck » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:41 am

If you liked that pick up "The Victors" by him. More broad coverage of the thrust into Germany. Not just one unit, but many. Same style of writing, but different units. You'll like it. :P
Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:22 am

I'll have to look for that. BoB is the third of his books I've read (as mentioned) and I really like his style and his attention to detail.

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:34 pm

This is the cover of the Time/Life book I am now reading:
This is the title page:
This is a good book so far, on the Italian campaign from Sicily to Italy! These books have plenty of photo's, maps, and some drawings. They are typical Time/Life books from the 70's.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:25 pm

I read Band of Brothers a few years ago....I liked it a lot. Some have criticized Ambrose's historical accuracy, but considering the fact that he interviewed the actual soldiers involved, that's good enough for me.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Post Library”