Moderator: Frank

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Whiterook » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:28 pm

Reading book two of the Hunger Games...."Catchinf Fire"

image.jpg

The following content was provided by the publisher.
Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with Peeta Mellark. But it had been a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:22 am

Started reading the Ranger's Apprentice series.

KG_Panzerschreck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby KG_Panzerschreck » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:27 am

Havent bought any books in a while, but i just re-read some favs...

1 - The Hobbit

2 - A Terrible Glory - Custer And The Battle Of The Little Bighorn
I cant reccomend this book enough. I thought i knew alot about this battle. As it turns out i didnt know Jack Crap about it, lol. This starts with a background on most of the main characters and goes til the trial after the massacre. Buy it. Read it. Be fascinated by it.

3 - Grant Takes Command - The difinative book on Grant in the American Civil War and one of the best books on that war period IMHO.
Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:03 pm

Nearly finished Stephen Ambrose`s D Day, a really good book that I have been meaning to read for ages.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm still reading Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose. I'm about halfway finished, but haven't been reading as much as I used to.

Early last year I read D-day and a few years ago I read Wild Blue, all by the same author.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:26 pm

Finished the last book of the Hunger Games over the Christmas holidays....

Mockingjay
Mockingjay.jpg
Mockingjay.jpg (6.85 KiB) Viewed 1032 times

It was a good series, which I really enjoyed. The third book went places I was totally expecting, but maybe that's a good thing.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:31 pm

I started a year-long leadership course at work, called Lead You Life. Part of the course includes reading at least three books....the first I've just started is:

Crucial Conversations
Crucial Conversations.jpg
Crucial Conversations.jpg (12.25 KiB) Viewed 1032 times

A different approach to how you engage in discussions, especially when they are confrontational or complex.

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Finally found a copy (library) on Amazon that didn't break me.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:39 pm

A Soldier in the Cockpit From Rifles to Typhoons in WWII

An exerpt from the Hawker Tempest Page:

Ron Pottinger was conscripted into the British army in October 1939. Army service with the Royal Fusiliers was spent in the Uckfield area of Sussex, and after Dunkirk guarding the beaches of East Kent in anticipation of the invasion that never happened. By January 1941 there was a shortage of pilots and Ron applied for a transfer to the RAF. After successfully completing the entrance exams he was shipped out to Florida for aircrew training. On his return to England Ron joined 3 Squadron who had recently converted to flying the Hawker Typhoon. Later 3 Squadron were to be one of the first to convert to the Hawker Tempest and with the appearance of the V1 Doodlebug, were held back from the invasion to deal with this menace.

January 1st 1945 saw him shot down by flak (JF-R EJ719) and taken prisoner. After interrogation and several days spent in the back of a train he arrived at Stalag IIIA, Lukenwalde. With fighting all around, the Germans retreated and he now became a guest of the Russian army until his eventual release some time after the end of hostilities!

Peacetime brought air testing and ferrying planes around the country until he was de-mobed. In civilian life he qualified as an Electrical Engineer at night school and reached the peak of his profession as a Chartered Engineer.
http://www.hawkertempest.se/pottinger.htm

I've been fortunate being an Anglophile in the United States, in that I get really great deals in Literature and Gaming items related to British History..... :)
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:34 pm

50th wrote:I'm still reading Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose. I'm about halfway finished, but haven't been reading as much as I used to.

Early last year I read D-day and a few years ago I read Wild Blue, all by the same author.

Awesome book! Really brought more detail to the mini-series. I like Ambrose's writing style a lot....an easy read I couldn't put down.

Return to “Post Library”