Victory: Into the Fire edited by Stephen Coonts

Military & Wargaming Books & e-Books

Moderator: Frank

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Victory: Into the Fire edited by Stephen Coonts

Postby 50th » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:30 pm

This book has three stories in one. The first story, "Breakthrough on Bloody Ridge", takes us to fierce fighting on Guadalcanal. This story presents two viewpoints from both, an American NCO and a Japanese NCO. It details the bravery of the Marine detachment left on the island while the navy attacked the Japanese fleet.

The second story is about an American baseball player that is an undercover agent in Hitlers Germany. The subject of the story is parachuted in to replace a German doctor who was summoned because he has the same blood type as the Fuhrer. The Fuhrer needs a transfusion, so the doctor is taken to a secret facility where medical experiments are done on "undesirables". He learns the shocking truth behind the phrase, "final solution", and that gives him a renewed passion to complete his mission, to assassinate the Fuhrer!

The third story is about a young American pilot ordered to train Russian pilots in the new P-39 Aircobras in the final months of the battle of Stalingrad!

I am currently in the second story, but the first was very good, and the second has got me reading more than I want in a day.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Victory: Into the Fire edited by Stephen Coonts

Postby 50th » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:33 am

That book was very good, and I would recommend it to anyone! The surprising news is that I bought it at Dollar General for around a buck! A WWII book for those on a budget!!
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Victory: Into the Fire edited by Stephen Coonts

Postby Whiterook » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:22 pm

That sounds like a trifecta of stories!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Post Library”