The Stackpole Military History Series

Military & Wargaming Books & e-Books

Moderator: Frank

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Stackpole Military History Series

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:54 pm

I often run into these gems at discounted prices... Stackpole has released quite a few old and new texts, the bulk of which are on WWII subjects

I picked up "Goodwood" two days ago for $6.99 (US) (List Price $18.95) at the Half-Price Books which covers Operation Goodwood Operations in Normandy, July 1944

This book is loaded with photos of the French STuGs from the 21st...

Got the following as well for the same price List Price $21.95 for this edition

"No Holding Back" covers Operation Totalize..... Operations in Normandy, August 1944, particularly for the First Canadian Army, which included the First Polish Armoured Division. There is an analysis in the appendix concerning the demise of Michael Wittman.

The book is well illustrated and has maps, photos, diagrams, orders of battle and charts

"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The Stackpole Military History Series

Postby 50th » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:54 pm

Nice looking books. I got a couple of books for Christmas on the German army. I'll post pics as soon as I get around to taking them. I did a Memoir 44 scenario based on operation Goodwood.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:36 pm

I'm currently reading: "Backwater War : The Allied Campaign in Italy, 1943-45", which is obviously about the war in Italy, but also gives a modest account of Sicily....
So far it's a good read.

I've recently finished: "Battle of Sicily - How the Allies Lost Their Chance for Total Victory"

It was a good read which highlighted the German successes, the Allied difficulties, and the competition between Montgomery and Patton.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:46 am

When you have a moment Frizz, can you post some of the combat reports specifically on the German french gear SP 7.5 and 10,5 ones?

I'd like to hear about how they actually did in combat, then what did it have for Wittmann and what are the dates of each book, new or older reissues?

Cheers, thanks!!

Tom

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:23 am

TRDG wrote:When you have a moment Frizz, can you post some of the combat reports specifically on the German french gear SP 7.5 and 10,5 ones?

I'd like to hear about how they actually did in combat, then what did it have for Wittmann and what are the dates of each book, new or older reissues?

Cheers, thanks!!

Tom

"Goodwood" and "No Holding Back" have initial releases of 2004-2005 with a 2009 Stackpole release for each

"Goodwood" has several photos of the StuG, including a photo showing a silohette of one of the StuGs positions in the battle. A detailed, but scattered account of the events of July 18, mentions the positions of the various Batteries...and several other events...

"No Holding Back" has an appendix where the controversy of Wittman's demise is analyzed by who were the possible shooters... didn't read the conclusion yet..... :D

Both books are more heavily illustrated than other Stackpole books I've read, so if you're still reading this you should grab 'em.... not at full price though.... look for the bargains....

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:39 am

"Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall: The 1st Assault Brigade Royal Engineers on D-Day "

Got this one (Hardback) for myself for Christmas payed $6.99(US) at a place called Ollie's Outlet on the Southside of Columbus.

With my enthusiasm for British/Commonwealth Engineering assets this was a lucky and must purchase find. Detailed analysis of the equipment and techniques abound!!! There are even diagrams how vehicles were loaded on the various landing craft and accounts from the landings oneach of the five D-Day beaches are included.

The only thing I can fault with the book is that the photos are not as crisp as in other books and have a slight washed-out appearance....

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:39 pm

I just finished reading "Goodwood" which obviously covers the Goodwood Operations in the vicinity of Caen which were halted at the the Bourguébus Ridge in Normandy, July 1944

The book goes into detail on the activities and results concerning preliminary massive air-raid that preceded the land battle.

Information concerning Becker’s 200. Sturmgeschützabteilung of the 21st Panzer Division is about as detailed as can be considering the disruption in communications caused by the air raid...

ImageImage

Ian Daglish, the author has a page from his website that might prove interesting....

http://iandaglish.co.uk/researching/

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:58 am

Thank you sir, I will have to search those out, and check the web site as well!!

Cheers, good deal!~!

Tom

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Mon May 06, 2013 9:09 pm

Love Stackpole books, great books at great prices! I have more then a few, and here's one I'm reading now. Picture and signature from my collection, ties it all together nicely.

Gunny0231
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Gunny0231 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:54 pm

I have a number of their titles including the Tank Aces and Infantry Aces series. Easy reads ind quite interesting!
On average it took five Panthers to take out a Sherman. Four would be in a ditch out of fuel or broken down, the fifth one just blows away the Sherman before catching fire by itself.

Return to “Post Library”