The Pacific. by Hugh Ambrose

Military & Wargaming Books & e-Books

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Pacific. by Hugh Ambrose

Postby Frank » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:08 pm

I have just finished this, and it is a great read, I think it is probably the closest that someone like me who has never been in the services can be to finding out what combat is like. The day to day experiences of the guys who were doing the actual fighting makes it so much more alive than than the usual histories written by people who were not there.

The book centres round five guys instead of the three in the tv series, or so the intro says, I have just picked up the series on dvd so I have no idea about that.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7494887-the-pacific

One thing I found surprising was the generally low esteem that MacArthur was held in by the marines, in the UK we were taught, if it was mentioned at all, that he was a great general, universally respected which was why he took such a major role in the Korean War.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Pacific. by Hugh Ambrose

Postby Whiterook » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:10 pm

I missed this one.... it sounds like a great book! I need to read more on that line.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Post Library”