Site Admin
Site Admin

Hitler's Panzers: The Lightning Attacks that Revolutionized

Postby Whiterook » Sun May 05, 2013 6:25 pm

Hitler's Panzers: The Lightning Attacks that Revolutionized Warfare
by Dennis E. Showalter

image.jpg
image.jpg (76.29 KiB) Viewed 1024 times

Picked this up a week ago and plan on starting it this week.

A fascinating account of Nazi Germany's armored forces by the author of Patton and Rommel.

Determined to secure a quick, decisive victory on the World War II battlefields, Adolf Hitler adopted an attack plan that combined tools with technique- the formidable Panzer divisions. Self-contained armored units able to operate independently, the Panzers became the German army's fighting core as well as its moral focus, establishing an entirely new military doctrine.

In Hitler's Panzers, renowned World War II scholar Dennis Showalter presents a comprehensive and unbiased study of Nazi Germany's armored forces. By delving deeply into a detailed history of the theory, strategy, myths, and realities of Germany's technologically innovative approach to warfare, Showalter provides a look at the military lessons of the past, and a speculation on how the Panzer ethos may be implemented in the future of international conflict.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Gunny0231
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Hitler's Panzers: The Lightning Attacks that Revolutioni

Postby Gunny0231 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:11 pm

Looks interesting: keep us posted. LOL my ex would have a heart attack if she knew I would consider MORE armor books!
On average it took five Panthers to take out a Sherman. Four would be in a ditch out of fuel or broken down, the fifth one just blows away the Sherman before catching fire by itself.

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Mon May 06, 2013 10:13 pm

Gunny0231 wrote:I would consider MORE armor books!

You can never have to many armor books! :)

KG_Panzerschreck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby KG_Panzerschreck » Tue May 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Anything by Dennis Showalter is worth buying. Ive read a lot of his work and its all top notch.
Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:21 pm

I've unfortunately, only got a little into this title, as I was side-tracked with stuff from work eating up evening time. But the little I've read is excellent. I look forward to sinking my teeth in this over the next few weeks. I will indeed keep you posted.

I agree with Showalter being a must read....I've seen him on several documentaries and he's an amazing historian/author.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Post Library”