Problems getting on-site

The place to Test Site Mechanics and Ask Questions

Moderator: Whiterook

RAF Liberators
Private
Private

Re: Problems getting on-site

Postby RAF Liberators » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:59 pm

I've upgraded the site to the latest version and everything should be working again now. The only issue now is around the Template which isn't compatible with the new version of the site.
I'll see if I can do anything with that but it might be time to find a new template.
Gaz

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Site issues

Postby Whiterook » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:15 am

As you all can see, the forum looks quite different! We've had some issues:

* With the site crashing and not letting you insight away;
* An assault by Spammers from Russia and China this past weekend that nearly drove me off the deep end;
* And a need to upgrade the software the site runs off.

Well, I found a possible solution to the logging on issue, so hopefully you'll not get the dreaded 'board is busy try again later' message...time will tell on that.

The bad news is, the 'skin (the graphics and way the site looked) is NOT compatible with the new version of phpBB3! No way to resolve that I fear, other than starting from scratch with a new skin for the site. That will take me so e time....

Until then, I am sorry to say that the site looks incredibly bland with a generic template. All features should still be there, including posts and so forth...just not with the cool graphics we had. I'll work on that but again, it will take me some time I am a bit space on at the moment so, I ask for your patience and understanding (which I know I have).

Em
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

RAF Liberators
Private
Private

Re: Site issues

Postby RAF Liberators » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:16 pm

New Template installed, looks pretty snazzy to :)
Just need to change the logo.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Site issues

Postby Whiterook » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:53 pm

Thanks!!! :D Gary....you 'da man!!!!!!

To the community....the logo will be changing in time, so bear with the changes please, and thanks for your patience!!!

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:36 am

Having no problems now, thanks for whatever you did.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:19 am

It's working great! Thanks very much, Em. Still one of my favorite websites.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:33 pm

Thanks for your patience, all!!! :D

Basically what happened was....

1. The software this site runs on (phpBB3) had an upgrade and we were on the old version;
2. We start crashing a lot and after doing some research on other forums experiencing the same problem of their boards not being available, that seemed to be because of the 'Load Limit'...which I adjusted like they did and the problem (so far) has seemed to stop;
3. Then, Gary upgraded the software to the new version for me (as it was beyond my talents), but unfortunately, the 'skin' (the template and graphics we used) was not compatible with the new version of phpBB3...so Gary needed to use a standard default;
4. I found a new skin that is compatible with the new software and now need to tweak it so it does what we want, and looks the way I'd like it to look. Gary has generously offered to help us out by designing a new logo for the site;
5. I need to adjust some of the functionality (if I can) as I find stuff...right now I am trying to figure out why you can't quote a previous post, or edit;
6. I may further personalize the site by adding in some new graphics (if I can);
7. I had a lot of problems with the old skin, as far as adding what are called 'mods' that allow different functionality, like a chat room, etc....now, I need to explore if those problems were because of the old skin and now I can do more stuff.

Personally, I think the site looks a little snazzier, and cleaner!

RAF Liberators
Private
Private

Postby RAF Liberators » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Ooooh my ears are burning I can hear my name being used :)

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:59 pm

Whiterook wrote:I've researched it and several forums had an issue with the server configuration for system load variables (yeah, Greek...I know). I made an adjustment, so...either

1. The board will start working right again;
2. I'll have really miffed things up and we're screwed;
3. No difference at all.

Hopefully it's #1. Please let me know if you are experiencing issues after December 9, 2013, 6PM Eastern Standard Time USA

Hey Em I can edit posts, it must be you mate

HAHAAAA...well, I can see it now, thanks to Gary finding where the glitch was for me. The Quote and Edit buttons weren't showing for me....and he tweaked the language setting in my profile of all things (there is no 'US English' designation in the site file structure, and apparently being set to that messed me up!) and now I can see even more things I didn't even know were there!!!

Technology. Sheesh.

Thank you Gary!!!!!!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:01 pm

RAF Liberators wrote:Ooooh my ears are burning I can hear my name being used :)

You saved my bacon on this one, mate (e.g., you 'da man!!!!) :D

And folks...Gary has been amazing with upgrading the site and keeping me out of the Looney Bin!

Return to “Test & Help”