Diecon 17

Gaming Conventions & Expos to Attend

Moderator: Frizzenspark

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Diecon 17

Postby 50th » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:53 pm

As many of you know, I attended Diecon 17 last weekend. I ran two games at the con, Memoir 44 on Saturday morning, and Battletech on Sunday morning. The two pictures is from the Flames of War game I played on Friday afternoon in the first session. This was supposed to be for new players and was supposed to be a teaching game. But the guy running it didn't have sheets for his players to learn where the to hit numbers and save numbers were, he always told us. I didn't learn any of this. The first picture is my Panther unit (which was destroyed and then I got a couple of Puma's). The second is the Jagdpanzers I got after the Puma's were destroyed.

IMG_3476.JPG
FOW Panthers

IMG_3479.JPG
Panthers hit enemy tank

The next picture is of two of my players for Memoir on Saturday morning. Now I had left for the convention without my Khalkhin-Gol paper battlemap. So Thursday afternoon, after I got to my friend's house (where I stayed for the con), we got out his Memoir map and mine, and we put this together from memory.
In the pic, the guy on the left is Warren, who has played in my Memoir games at these cons for the last six or seven years.

IMG_3520.JPG
Memoir 44 Players

The Russians (myself as CNC) did win!
The next photo is of a sailing ship game I played on Saturday afternoon. The interesting thing is that this is a "print n play" system. These ships (except the sunken ship) are all made of paper, with the designs printed from a computer printer! The goal here was to get to the sunken ship and offload gold (pennies), and get it back to your port.

IMG_3526.JPG
Limeys and Slimeys

IMG_3529.JPG
Sunken Ship

I'll post more a little later.
Needless to say, I did have fun.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Diecon 17

Postby 50th » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:39 pm

Saturday evening I ended up playing a new game that hasn't even hit the market yet, Zombiewood.

IMG_3538.JPG
Zombiewood

IMG_3535.JPG
Zombiewood cards

The game centers around a typical movie crew trying to make a movie about zombies. The only thing is that the casting department sends you real zombies for cast members! So you fight the zombies cooperatively. There are three stages, depending on the type of movie you are making, and at the end of every stage, you have to fight a boss, which gets harder per stage. After every fight, you scavenge for weapons, ect by rolling the dice on the upper part of the card. You roll the dice on the lower part of the card to attack. Red dice only have zero, one and two. Blue dice have more ones and twos than zeros, and green dice have at least one three. You roll the dice shown and it must add up to more than the number on the zombie. you can add "bullets" to what you roll. Here is a pic:

IMG_3536.JPG
zombiewood players

On Friday and Sunday evenings, we played "The settlers of Catan". My friend OJ ran this:

IMG_3515.JPG
Settlers of Catan

The guy closest to the camera on the right is OJ. He is actually con staff, and has been doing it for years. The other guy on the right is a mutual "friend". I say that lightly because he is a S&*%@ disturber and loves doing it. He has pushed my buttons on many occasions.
Another game we played on Sunday was a demo of "The Captain is dead", another cooperative play game. In this game we are on a starship and the captain is killed and the ship is under attack by aliens. We have to repair the ship and defeat the aliens. If the shields go below zero, we are dead as the ship blows up. If we repair the shields and the warp drive, we warp out and win the game. This is how our game ended. The guys with black bases are aliens.

IMG_3544.JPG
The Captain is Dead

Like I said, I had a great time.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:21 pm

In the first two posts, I posted pictures of the games I played in. This time I will showcase games at other tables. I also have a game dealer photo that I will show you first:

IMG_3499.JPG
Game Dealer

In the next photo, we have Bonaparte being set up. The guy that runs this, runs it all weekend long, and you can get in and play as much as you want and get back out at the end of one session. He also runs this usually at the convention in November, Command Con.

IMG_3507.JPG
Napoleanics

The next three games I know nothing about. They looked interesting and so I took pictures:

IMG_3533.JPG
Game at another table

This one was played on Sunday (fewer people at con)

IMG_3506.JPG
Ship to Ship game

IMG_3497.JPG
Space ship game

There were hundreds of games being played over the three days of the con, from 2pm on Friday to 11pm and they started at 9am on Saturday and Sunday. Lots more choices than one could play in one con.

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:28 pm

I just realized I never showed a picture of my Battletech game I held on Sunday morning. I took this after setup, while we were waiting on players. We actually had six show up and I made seven. The attackers won, although they didn't have time to rescue the leader from the compound. They took things a little too easy in the beginning.

IMG_3540.JPG
Battletech

I should have gotten a picture of the players, but after they showed up I was too busy.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Great report and pics. It is a shame that your Flames experience was not great as it is a very good game.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Wow, that's a long game board! I like it.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Return to “Troop Ship”