Origins 2017 Game Fair 14-18 June 2017 Columbus, Ohio

Gaming Conventions & Expos to Attend

Moderator: Frizzenspark

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Origins 2017 Game Fair 14-18 June 2017 Columbus, Ohio

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:09 am

The Missus and I plan to attend this convention, lodging will be simple, we live just outside of Columbus; we get discounted admission; and the Missus has an enhanced interest in Boardgaming. There is little excuse not to go.

http://originsgamefair.com
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Origins 2017 Game Fair 14-18 June 2017 Columbus, Ohio

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:32 pm

I've written elsewhere on this topic; it seems only appropriate that I write something here as well...

The Missus and I are locked into this event; I will be GMing for Gale Force Nine, The Missus will be working for our Game Club "C.A.B.S." Our admission is covered, I'll be getting free goodies from GF9. I will be assisting C.A.B.S. with set up.

We have some games to buy on our list; Yamatai, Witches of the Revolution, among others... naturally we'll be looking for bargains.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:24 pm

My Convention will start early; Gale Force Nine could use some assistance setting up.... I'll be able to get my badge early.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:00 pm

I helped Gale Force Nine/Battlefront set up their booth area... they brought one truck of stuff... everything is pretty good to go... I have my badge and TWO T-Shirts...

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:00 am

Some of the people I met at Diecon 17 said that they had another convention to go to the following week. Some even said it was Origins. I have cut back to two conventions a year from four. Have fun! I know I did at Diecon.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:28 pm

I was at the Battlefront/Galeforce Nine area all day; I did so to learn the new Doctor Who game, since I'll be GMing it Saturday and Sunday. I'm really impressed with it! It has an excellent blend of playability, faithfulness to theme, and fun. When it is released, I'll get my copy Free for my efforts.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Back from Thursday at the Convention... Money Was Spent. :( :)

The Missus had three games on her gotta have list..... We bagged them All!!!! Our final quest was for Mayfair's "Cave vs Cave" it provided a wicked sense of satisfaction to get the very last copy.... the line fell away as the Missus got it in her clutches. There was some muttering, nobody blamed my Wife, there were others that bought multiple copies.

We did throw some cash down on some games... bargain searching, overall, no regrets so far.

I sat and played the new Doctor Who game; I still like it.

The Missus put in her initial round of volunteering... she helped run the Boardroom Library, I watched her at a distance, she was really kicking but and hustling.

Since It's Only Thursday, the full impact of the crowds hasn't yet hit. We took advantage and hit the Food Court, twice, with pleasant results. We love "The Chicken and the Egg" The Potatos are the Best!!!

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:52 pm

Friday was interesting... started out late, dropped the Missus off so she could get to a ticketed game event. while I parked. I roamed the Dealer's Room and watched some miniatures game while She played.
After her event was over, we went to Barley's Brew Pub for lunch and a souvenir Pint glass. We each had Reubens and a Pint of Ale... It was really good!

The Missus played many games and earned ribbons... I was more into the snooping around... my work schedule starts on Saturday and runs through the Convention.

We played a couple rounds of "Dominion" Rio Grande Games provided a courtesy Pasta dinner for attendees at their free-play location.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:19 am

Saturday I did my first Demos for the new Doctor Who game from Gale Force Nine. "Big" John from Battlefront sat in for my first Demo, which positively influenced the remainder of my demos.
http://doctorwho.gf9games.com/HowToPlay.aspx

The Missus roamed the gaming hall with her hoodlum gaming friends, acquiring as many ribbons as she could.

To close out the day, we attended the Dice Tower Show hosted by the folks from Dice Tower... My Missus is quite the Fan Girl. We ran into many Video Game Blog Hosts.... All of the really nice.
http://www.dicetower.com

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:10 am

This year, Origins went about as perfectly as one can expect. We accomplished all of our goals; we got some great deals on games; got ALL the "limited supply/new release" games on our list; Had some really good food and drink; met the Gaming celebrities we wanted to meet; all of them nice and oddly approachable and friendly.

Many of the demos were free, the Missus hit the ones I wanted her to hit. I only tried out my Doctor Who game to understand it better before it was my turn to teach it, and the "Century Spice Road" after we bought it.... both solid games.

We acquired enough games to keep us un-boxing for a while; the Missus bought a dice tray, and the folks at Battlefront gave me a copy of "Tanks" gratis. :)

All in all really good fun.

Return to “Troop Ship”