AARs: What do you like?

After Action Report Challenge Contests and AAR Logistics

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

josta59

AARs: What do you like?

Postby josta59 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:38 pm

It's my understanding that wargamers in general enjoy reading AARs. Sometimes I enjoy writing them. I usually don't get much response, and that's perfectly fine. But it does make me wonder if there's anything I can do to improve the reader's enjoyment.

So what kind of AARs do you like most? Games set in a certain era or war? Do you like to read about games based in history more than fictional or what-if games? Do you prefer tabletop miniature AARs to looking at someone's board game? What about campaigns, do they hold your interest over days, weeks, months?

What elements of an AAR get you excited? Awesome pictures are a given. What about orders of battle? Do you like more background story or do you prefer the writer to get right to the action? Do you want to know the mechanics behind a game, or is that superfluous information?

Whatever comments I get will help inform me as I continue to try to make this website awesome with my AARs and solo play-by-post games.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: AARs: What do you like?

Postby 50th » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:25 pm

I like WWII games that re-enact some real battle in miniature. Almost every scenario I write, either for Memoir 44 or for Tide of Iron, is of a real historical battle. I like writing scenarios because I like the research that goes into it. I have over 30 WWII documentaries and many WWII books. One of the most useful of the books is Campaigns of WWII Day by Day by Bishop and McNabb. It has many photos and maps and some drawings of airplanes, ships and tanks. Here is a photo of the inside of that book:

Here is what the cover looks like:

I have about 18 books on WWII.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Return to “AAR Challenges & AAR Sub-Forums”