Working on new Kursk Scenario

Playtesting area to test new scenario designs

Moderators: 50th, josta59

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Working on new Kursk Scenario

Postby 50th » Fri May 26, 2017 9:36 am

I need your help. I remember reading somewhere that the Panther tanks that had been sent into the Kursk battle went to a city in the southern part of the Kursk Sailent, and that so many of them had broken down that a lot of them had been destroyed in place. Does anyone have any information that can help me? I am designing new scenarios for Memoir 44 and Tide of Iron for the Northern Sailent.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Working on new Kursk Scenario

Postby Whiterook » Fri May 26, 2017 4:35 pm

50th wrote:I need your help. I remember reading somewhere that the Panther tanks that had been sent into the Kursk battle went to a city in the southern part of the Kursk Sailent, and that so many of them had broken down that a lot of them had been destroyed in place. Does anyone have any information that can help me? I am designing new scenarios for Memoir 44 and Tide of Iron for the Northern Sailent.

Geez, Ron...that's an area I have no clue on, myself. maybe someone else here has the answer to that. But I wwas thinking...if you don't get an answer here, make sure to post it on the Facebook group page! I bet someone there would...and make sure if you do, and find the answer, to post it in this thread.

Also, are you planning to play through that scenarion here in this board? If not, this is better placed in the Operations Unit. But personally, I hope you do play it out here, as I'm dying to see it!!!
'Rommel...you Magnificent Bastard...I read your book!" - Gen. Patton

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat May 27, 2017 10:45 am

Sorry, I have read in several books that the panthers were not ready and quite frequently broke down but can not help with actual figures.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat May 27, 2017 10:49 pm

Ron...per Urban:

'No Panthers at all on any other locations than Kursk at the time for Zitadelle so that's untrue. After two days of fighting at the end of the 6th of July there was only 40 out of the original 200 Panthers that was operational.

The majority of the losses was due to break downs, some resulting in burned out Panthers due to the leaky fuel lines and insufficient engine cooling. The leaky fuel lines also made the Panthers more prone to catching fire when hit (This was sorted out at the production lines after Zitadelle).

From the 8th of July and throughout the rest of the fighting during Zitadelle there was never more than 30 Panthers operational. But I must say that that's good praise to the maintenance crews that they could keep up to 30 Panthers running a day by repairing the ones that broke down during the daytime fighting.'
'Rommel...you Magnificent Bastard...I read your book!" - Gen. Patton

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sun May 28, 2017 5:16 am

Good! I had found a source that said 41 Panthers were operational. So I might include one or two in my scenario. I am hoping to play test what I have today or tomorrow, I will post a pic or two. I had already done the Southern Salient battle around Prokhorovka . This battle takes place in the town of Ponyri in the Northern Salient. There was fighting from building to building, especially around the train station, tractor station (place that sold and repaired tractors), and school. The Russians had placed minefields and dug anti-tank trenches before the town. The town was in the direct path to Kursk that Von Kluge was on. Soviet defenses also included a line of dug in T34 tanks, and south of the town was a column of Soviet artillery, including Katyusha rocket launchers.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Return to “MWF Playtest Wargames”