Using an Expo to create interest

Reference Storehouse of past Conventions/Tournaments

Moderator: Frizzenspark

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Using an Expo to create interest

Postby MAGNA » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:51 pm

A question for any one to ponder and give views / ideas.....

Situation. We don't have much in the way of conventions / expos in my neck of the woods due to
population and distance. Driving to the next town is generally half an hour minimum and driving to
towns / cities with hobby shops is three to five hours not counting coming back. I know there are a
lot more expos etc in other countries so I'm assuming members here have been to a lot more than
I ever will.

Silver lining. We do have a hobby expo in our town once every two years. A long time between drinks
but a good display / game setup / demos could be just the shot to get people interested. The last one
had a display or two from out of town hobby shops and some model collections as in jet airliners and
hand made ships. Most of the rest was radio controlled cars and very old model railway setups. Military
modelling / gaming displays - nil.

Plan. Set up some gaming demos and participation stuff to get people involved. This is where you can
help. What expo / convention displays or demos really stick in your mind. What was really interesting
or what did most people seem to be interested in as far as gaming went ? What was interesting and
drew people in but was obviously easy to set up ?

Possibles. World war II is an obvious choice as most are familiar with it and it generates interest for
a lot of people. Napoleonic ships or WWI ships is simple enough to set up and another possibility.
Ancients always look nifty with the elephants and bright Persian troops - also easy to set up and play
on a small area. We have terrain and kit for many periods as in those already mentioned plus ACW and
Napoleonic land based.

Any period seem to be the most popular ? 1st followed by 2nd maybe ? Land based only or is naval
one that many seem to find interesting as well ?

We have a fair while to gear up for the next Expo so any thoughts, or brilliant ideas would be much
appreciated.
My get up and go never got here in the first place

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Using an Expo to create interest

Postby Frizzenspark » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:58 pm

DBA - De Bellis Antiquitatis is a set of Ancient Miniature rules, about to go to version three.....

Hordes of the Things - HotT a set for fantasy wargaming rules similar to DBA

Both are available as free downloads from the authors from the following site
http://www.wrg.me.uk/WRG/wrgindex.html

A further guide to DBA can be found at the following....
http://www.wadbag.com/DBAGuide/default.asp
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:38 am

I take it you mean quick is good Frizz. Fast participation games makes sense to me - quick to set up and get a
result.

Are longer demonstration games a drawcard as well and if so, do they require a high level of terrain detail etc ?

Also, I have assumed that displays of units (eg unit of romans and unit of Gauls or opposing companies of WWII
figures) to show the amount needed to start playing can be helpful / inspiration to aspirants ?

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:13 am

The success of HotT and DBA in events relies on ease of play, speed, cost effectiveness and overall simplicity.

For 15mm play, games are played on a 2'by 2' battlefield.... suitably coloured fabric can be used.

DBA uses nearly any conceivable army from before 1500 with twelve bases of soldiers per army

HotT can have "anything" for armies, usually in a theme.... it's on a point system, but with roughly twelve bases per army.

we allow an hour and a half for play.... games usually come in at about an hour...

If you glance through the WADBAG guide, you'll get an idea of the "do-it-at home" simplicity of both units.

Terrain is modestly representative.... differently coloured felt pieces will serve nicely for most....

A few demos would great, culminating in tournament with a Round-Robin/Speed Dating session of games....

I won a HotT tournament on my first attempt at the game
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:43 pm

Very interesting and may I say its great to see you taking an active interest to get new people into gaming.

First thing, what is the time frame, 2 weeks from now, two months???

Next could you contact the other out of town hobby stores to see if you could "combine your assets" so to speak?

I suspect you might do a WW II game, and say Napolionics or your ancients. Key here is to have enough terrain and boards to get a good set up, then think of a quick scenario or two for each.

Say for the WW II (yes I am thinking FoW here, LOL) have a 2 turn game to take a specific objective. And on the other game perhaps some kind of fortress siege or something.

Basically something that is big and flashy for models and terrain simple to get into, at least the sample scenario's and you need the help of the other hobby stores.

I bet Flames of War America may help you out if you contact them and there is time go get things right!!

Cheers, just a thought from me.

Tom

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:55 pm

My brother Demos "Infinity the Game" with direct support from the parent company Corvus Belli

"Infinity the Game" is a manga based science fiction skirmish game which uses a small number of miniatures in a detailed combat system.

It might be worth your while to contact Corvus Belli and see what support they might be able to provide, they also make DBA armies and miniatures.

They have free downloadable rules:

http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity/en/downloads/

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:38 am

Interesting stuff gentlemen.

We have all the rulesets available that we use. It will probably be a case of choosing the right scenario's to play
with the required scenery. Open enough to see what is going on so viewers will be able to follow it.

I was thinking three periods would probably do it. I do have an idea for the terrain which would make things
infinitely easier but I'll have to try it first.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:08 am

Due to a Civil War between some DBA Players and the authors, the current 2.2 version of DBA has been removed from the WRG Downolads....

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:37 am

Civil Wars like that can be a nuisance. Hope they sort it out quick.

Leaning towards WWII (of course), Ancients, and Napoleonic naval for this effort. A long time to go before it's on
so we'll see what happens.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:50 pm

I'll put a separate entry covering the "Civil War"

Look over what you intend to use for your demos (rules, minis, etc.)
Contact the folks that produce it, see if you can get something for your troubles.

My brother gets sample minis to pass around to participants, cheap dice is nothing to sneeze at neither are rulers, etc.

FoW is about to release its version three.... apparently mini rule-books will be provided.

Return to “CON ARCHIVES”