BottosCon 2011

Reference Storehouse of past Conventions/Tournaments

Moderator: Frizzenspark

Duncan

BottosCon 2011

Postby Duncan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:28 pm

Nov 4/5/6 2011
Surrey, BC at the Compass Points Inn.
It happens in conjuction with West Coast Rumble. An ASL tournament hosted by Lone Canuck Publishing.

Got some vacation time booked so I can attend all three days. I'll probably play the Up Front tournament if it happens - usually Friday evening - and arrange some other games for the weekend a few weeks ahead of time.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: BottosCon 2011

Postby TRDG » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:49 am

Looking forward to some pics and feedback on your games there when it comes up D!!

Cheers, "they" let you have a couple days off, what up with that..... Ha Ha Ha!!

Tom

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:59 am

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:26 am

Here are the games I have lined up.

Friday tournament. I'll probably get in four or five rounds.

Probably Saturday morning. Waiting for a reply from my opponent.

Saturday afternoon.

Sunday morning

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:53 am

Nice, have you played all 3 before yet and whicj one might be your fav by chnace, if you did?

Cheers

Tom

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:05 am

I'm (re)reading the rules for all of these this month. Keep in mind I only get to play face-to-face a couple times a year. Hoping that changes soon. I picked them because they are games that I can pack around and play in an afternoon. I want to play more but don't have time or space for an entire day, week, month for one game. I'm getting some exposure to more manageable games.

I've played Up Front quite a few times. It's kind of a card game. The squads are set up and you have actions in a hand. It takes about two hours a game. I usually play just the infantry but have worked with the armour a little. It's card game with a rules set that isn't very intuitive. Once you get the hang of it it's very intense. It was a really popular game way back and still has a good following.

Juno: The Canadian Beaches is new to me. It's a small quick game. I've heard that the map and order of landing is innacurate. That's a long discussion that you can read on BGG. I'm interested because there's an inexpensive series of games, U.S./British/Canadian beaches I might pick up because they are small and quick. Takes about an hour to play I'm told.

No Retreat just came in the mail last week. I have the GMT version. It is raved about. The production quality is awsome - GMT. Big hexes and big counters. Low counter density with a variety of scenarios that begin in about the three hour range. I'm reading the rules a second time as they are very unique and the game is card driven. Cards can be used to cause events or they can be discarded as a kind of command/supply useage. I am so looking forward to this.

Beyond the Beaches is simple Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit #1 Normandy Airborne scenarios. Infantry only. Nice and simple with an interesting topic. I play a lot of ASLSK using VASSAL. This is something to not have to think about too much.
Last edited by Duncan on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:23 am, edited 5 times in total.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:10 am

Up Front - I'm in the back left

Pics from Boardgame Geek below

Juno

No Retreat

Beyond the Beaches
Last edited by Duncan on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:16 am

So they are all pretty new to you so it should be pretty exciting to play the full games, card game sounds interesting, though I usually don't get into them as such.

Cheers, really wish we would have gotton DDs ASL game up and going here, would have been fun.

I bet you are just counting the days til next month bud!!

Good luck and as I posted before, lots of pics and blow by blow reports after your events please D!!

Tom

Did you ever get a chance to play that White Star Rising game yet, Em is running a game here?

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:24 am

Two of them are new. Up Front and ASLSK I know quite well and have played quite a bit.
I've never played WSR and only first heard about it a few weeks ago. Never seen it.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:20 pm

Woohoo!
I'm off for eight or ten hours of Up Front today.
I have a full campaign game of No Retreat tomorrow afternoon.

Return to “CON ARCHIVES”