What's up with deep dish pizza at the grocery store?

Discussions of Foods and Treats!

Moderators: Whiterook, Frank

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

What's up with deep dish pizza at the grocery store?

Postby Whiterook » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:49 pm

My wife and I were at the grocery store this past Friday, and among the supplies for the weekend was the goal of getting a frozen pizza for that night. I was shocked to see the lousy selection...and horrified to find that there was only one selection for a pizza that WASN'T deep dish.

That really surprised me, really. There used to be a rather large selection, and only a few of which were deep dish. It seems that around here (my hometown), deep dish is the cats' patuuties.

Anyone else see this phenomenon?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What's up with deep dish pizza at the grocery store?

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Not really, round our way we have deep dish, standard and thin`n`crispy.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Deep dish pizza is the thicker one, right?
Here in Italy the thick pizza (or pizza 'alta') is often related with the Naples'tradition but I'm not so sure...
I prefer the thinner one (or pizza 'bassa') because is easier to eat with knife and fork but the "pizza alta" is better as street food because it don't break so easily...the "pizza alta" often is softer than the "bassa" variation but the thinner pizza is more crunchy.

I love pizza, but I'm quite a conservative eater and I prefer the traditional recipes...I hope to eat a fried pizza soon because it is an historical food as it was a dish for the poor people in the postwar period.
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Lucky Luke wrote:Deep dish pizza is the thicker one, right?
Here in Italy the thick pizza (or pizza 'alta') is often related with the Naples'tradition but I'm not so sure...
I prefer the thinner one (or pizza 'bassa') because is easier to eat with knife and fork but the "pizza alta" is better as street food because it don't break so easily...the "pizza alta" often is softer than the "bassa" variation but the thinner pizza is more crunchy.

I love pizza, but I'm quite a conservative eater and I prefer the traditional recipes...I hope to eat a fried pizza soon because it is an historical food as it was a dish for the poor people in the postwar period.

There's a debate here in America, on how to eat pizza slice....the wedge flat, or folded lengthwise and eaten more like a sandwich. What's the most eaten way in Italy, Luca?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:00 pm

Well, almost in any way....at a restaurant or at a "pizzeria"( a restaurant with pizza as the main dish served) you can see pizza eaten with fork and knife or wedge eaten...as you wish!
I can suggest another type of pizza: a simple deep dish pizza (called "pizza bianca" because is without any topping) cooked in a rectangular shape, seasoned with cooking salt, cut open like a sandwich and filled with "mortadella" (aka 'bologna') or ham or raw ham....for a weird but awesome tasty and fast recipe try to substitute the filling with chunks of dark chocolate or raw ham and figs...

Another pizza variation? "Calzone", a pizza dough http://allrecipes.com/recipe/18874/real-italian-calzones/ this is a fair copy of the "calzone" you could eat here in Italy....but don't put too much topping on it, please!
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Return to “Chow Talk”