Other (please specify)
25%

Total votes: 4

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

What's your favorite cuisine?

Postby Whiterook » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:25 pm

The world is full of fabulous food. It seems like these days, there are so many choices available in big cities, and even smaller towns. I went to San Francisco back in the mid-90's and I'll tell 'ya....that city is known for its diverse food haunts. It was the first time I'd ever had many ethnic cuisines I'd only heard of previously.

I think it's actually pretty hard to pick a favorite....there are several tat are right up there for me. But if I had to pick one, it would be Mexican. Especially Tacos. I've been lucky enough to make it down Mexico way one time in the past....I believe it was late 80's....and though I love the American-ized versions (and even the one's that are damned close to authentic), the food right in Mexico is unbelievable. Except for the water...that's no shit folks....it'll give you the screaming fudgies!!! (...thank goodness, not know from personal experience).
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What's your favorite cuisine?

Postby Frank » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:31 pm

I love spicy food. A good curry is my favourite though unfortunately my favourite restaraunt has just shut down.

I have not tried any authentic Mexican food as it is regarded as fairly exotic cuisine over here and is priced accordingly, and since our Amelia moved out money has been a bit to tight. I make (if I say so myself) a pretty good veggy chilli that I will have to stick up in the recipe thread, otherwise Italian is pretth good.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:31 am

Carribean Food; I really love Plantains, Red beans and rice; Jerk Chicken.... I picked up the taste for these items while stationed in Panama; Arroz con Pollo has many regional variations, all distinct and all fabulous.

American Food is also odd in some ways, Biscuits and Gravy; Grits, Cajun food in general is peculiar and quite good.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:40 pm

I love the Chinese food (barring the Italian one)but I tried a Chinese restaurant in London and I found the food very different from the one I was used to eat in the Chinese restaurants here in Italy....
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:37 pm

I agree with all of you and I'll add Japanese, a big fave of mine. Anything Indian, too.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:11 am

I am totally with Frank...the hotter the Mexican food for me, the better!!! I've recently explored Ghost Peppers...there's a reason they call them Ghost....those suckers'll kill you if your not careful!

On Scott's post....my wife is into Indian food, and has gotten me to dip my toes into those waters. Love the spicy and hot flavors of the genre. I must be honest in saying I've not really explored Japanese food yet....there is only the one restaurant around these parts and its a good hour+ drive away.

On Luca's observation...yeah, it's strange how different Chinese can be depending the region you're in. For example, the Chinese food I've had in Canada is totally different than around here, and I much prefer here (our worst place is better than there best place around Moncton, New Brunswick).

On Derek's Carribian food...had it only the one time in the Arington, Virginia....loved it! The place closed unfortunately...I was heartbroken.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Chow Talk”