Poutine râpée

Discussions of Foods and Treats!

Moderators: Whiterook, Frank

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Poutine râpée

Postby Whiterook » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:19 pm

This is one of my favorite foods from my parents' original home country of Canada....in the maritimes of New Brunswick. Poutine râpée is a traditional Acadian dish of that province.

f709406b4ebd67da9f7643a83d916953.jpg
f709406b4ebd67da9f7643a83d916953.jpg (89.4 KiB) Viewed 116 times

It is incredibly time-consuming to make so, it is what would be considered an occasional dish. There is so much that is neat about this dish, to me anyway. The potatoes are grated down, and that is part of what fascinated me, mainly because Acadians made their own 'Rappes'.... a grating screen, which was long rectangular metal sheeting, placed in a wood frame, with holes punched through one side to make a like-bullet-hole, with small shark edges! If you think scraping your knuckles on a kitchen grater hurts, try scraping them on an Acadian rappe grater! You probably should go to the hospital for a tetanus shot after that!!! The patato is made into a ball; your thumb makes a whole into a side to center, and stuff diced pork in, and then seal it; and wrap in cheesecloth, to be dumped into boiling water.

poutine5.jpg

I know it sounds, and may even look disgusting, but it is heaven on Earth for most Acadians.

Making them is usually a family affair....a production line, really. I was the thumber! :lol: Actually, I remember it as a great family and social time; telling stories, laughing, and getting damned messy! Those are some of my fondest memories.

It was such a chore, that when making these little balls of Heaven, you'd usually make enough to feed a small army. You'd provide some to family and friends, and church bazaars. People just don't seem to do something like that much anymore.

They have to be amazingly bland...h'ow do you eat them?' ...you may be asking.

Well, all kinds of ways, actually. Me, I'd usually have two in a meal; cut into small pieces, which fills a standard sized plate; and sprinkle a little white sugar on top. Fantastic!!!! Some people use brown sugar.

My mom and sister used to cut them in two and put butter on them, and then eat them. I can't remember how my dad and brother ate them. I know some people that eat them just as them just as they come out of the pot. Some people eat them with maple syrup, and some with Molasses. Canadians LOVE Ketchup, and of course, it finds its way on poutines. Just recently, I heard of a cousins' wife who subsequently fries them!!!

The last time I was involved in the making process was back in the early 1970's. Nowadays, the only time I get them is in October, when the church I attended as a child and teen, has their annual Bazaar. I'll get two or four of them, and usually have a couple good meals of them that week. I also get a derivative of this dish, that is baked in a square pan, called Pâté Râpé (aka "Rappie Pie"), which is a staple of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Isle ...and as you can guess, is another potato dish!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Chow Talk”