Solitaire ASL Bot

Moderator: Duncan

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Solitaire ASL Bot

Postby Whiterook » Fri May 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Have you ever wished you could sit down and play a few turns of ASL after dinner and a hard day's work? You could head over to VASL and hunt up a game, but you don't want to spend 3-4 hours playing, you just want to play for a little while. You have SASL, but that's a ton of additional rules and charts and depending on how the rolls go, you might spend most of your evening with your nose in the rulebook reading up on stuff you don't use very often. You just want to play a few turns of your favorite scenario but don't like playing both sides yourself.

You're in luck! This card driven solitaire system can take the place of a regular opponent and will play either side of every scenario in Starter Kit #1 (eventually, but not quite yet).

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1546763/solitaire-asl-bot

Peter Kossits has been working on this made it available for people to fool around with if they like. The rules still need some illustrated examples and some of the SK scenarios need to be checked out, but so far he had played both sides of Retaking Vierville and War Of The Rats several times by using this system and it worked out well. He has a Simple Equation set up now and he didn't see any problems with that one either.

Cards and Rules
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ssr1rray8ktwp7g/AACVTa_wDgeXdfSqY...

Fore detailed discussion on htis, go to BpardGameGeek, at https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1546763/solitaire-asl-bot/page/16
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Re: Solitaire ASL Bot

Postby josta59 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Sounds interesting! Any general solo mechanics you saw that could be easily applied to other games? I can look myself, but if you've already noted something, I'm interested.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue May 23, 2017 5:26 pm

josta59 wrote:Sounds interesting! Any general solo mechanics you saw that could be easily applied to other games? I can look myself, but if you've already noted something, I'm interested.

Well, to ASL specifically, there is a solitaire module for the system...SASL (Solitaire ASL). The bot mentioned above is I guess another way to attack the problem, like 'Firefight Generator' you are seeing pop up on popular games like all of Lock 'N Load's tactical games, and Academy Games' 'Conquest of Heroes' games....

You also have several 2+ player games of the past few years that are building solitaire mechanics into them. I have several, but I've not learned them yet.

I HAVE indeed thought, '....hmmmmm, I wonder if there are commonalities that could be applied to all games?' I've just not gotten here yet :lol:
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed May 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Solitaire gaming is a very interesting thing and it stirs some mixed emotions....

When you have no "living" player to game with (and zombies are too slow...) some solitaire gaming is an opportunity to try a system or to make a better strategy.

A bot system is the right way to manage a side leaving you free to fight vs the AI....?

Very often the solitaire rules are too cumbersome or too dumb to have a good time playing with no other player.

I found a simple systems using a few playing cards or complex one with some tables to weight the bot response against the human player (you).

All of them leave much to be desired: or the bot response is too repetitive or too simple.

At the last, before I put the "bot gaming" in the bin I thought that it is better recycle than throw away and so I take the simple way...

I took a standard deck of cards and gave a different meaning to every card.

To be short you can give a meaning of attack to the red cards, defence to the black ones and with some special "order" linked to the jack,queen,king and joker.

If the bot side is entrenched you can select few red cards and their meaning would be not a frontal attack but maye a concentrated defensive fire on the strongest attacking unit.

So are you the bot programmer but you are also the junior officer taking orders from the HQ (the bot).

If you see the bot behave in a strange way (not the unexpected but the pointless ones) you can remove at all or lower the number of the cards leading to this 'crazy orders'.

My 0,02 €uros...! :mrgreen:
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:42 pm

Cool, Luca! I like it.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Return to “Advanced Squad Leader”