Tips & Hints on Wargaming

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

i-Pad2: The Wargamer's Companion

Postby Whiterook » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:11 pm

i-Pad2: The Wargamer's Companion

I think it has great capabilities to do so. In a conversation with lobal Mod magna, he mentions to me that this is a good tool for keeping track of components and rules in various ways, and that's what I want to explore. I have several:

* Charts in Excel with unit OOB's that I own and those I plan to purchase
* Scads of paper copies of rules and charts gathered through the years
* Word docs of all things wargaming

What I don't have is a cohesive system to store and retrieve all these various forms of wargaming knowledge! I think the i-Pad may be the answer. That's what this thread will be all about, as I search for the answers and test the applicabilty of the i-Pad's usefulness as a wargamers' best friend.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: i-Pad2: The Wargamer's Companion

Postby Whiterook » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:24 pm

Now with the intro above out of the way, let me start off with smething cool I doscovered this morning:

I have some pdf documents of Flames of War Intel Books excerpts, and I treid an experiment with an armoured orgaization chart contained within one of them.....

In Adobe acrobat Reader....

1. Go to the <Edit Pull-down>

2. Choose <Take a Snapshot>

3. Your cursor switcheds to a "+" sign. Click and drag a box around what you want (in my case, I did the whole page organizational chart). You will get an "Adobe Reader" box that states that "The selected area has been copied"

4. Now open Microsoft Word

5. Click in the top of the blank page and Copy/Paste the Adobe Reader snapshot into the word Document (easiest was is to punc in <Control><V> on your keyboard

6. Presto-chango....your org chart!!!

NOTE: I do not own an i-Pad yet but will be picking one up in short order. what I believe I will be able to do at this point is, once I have the i-Pad, I'll download the app Pages (which is i-Pad's version of MS Word, and coverts Word docs to pages docs; and I will then be able to put that org chart on the i-Pad!!!

If this works the way I anticipate, the i-Pad will become my one-stop-source for all my charts, graphs, tables, rules, design projects, etc. The possibilities are staggering!!!

More to come.....

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:16 am

The iPad should already have .pdf reading capability so all you need to do is get the .pdf into your iPad and accessible via on of the available readers. Not sure how/if it can be done without purchasing the .pdf through the iPad and the wife took her new iPad to work with her (to keep it away from the kids) so I can do any testing right now. Hopefully later this weekend I can do some digging into this.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:15 pm

Watch out, Em has another new toy to play with now, and even gets him in deeper for FoW!!!

Cheers, have a good time with this bud!!

Tom

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun May 27, 2012 11:22 am

DD was right...I bought one app that's a PDF reader with some really great capabilities. I also bought another app that lets you write notes on top of PDFs! I've not had a chance to really delve deeply into the possibilities of this for gaming, but I am sure I'll be doing a lot of experimenting!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:48 pm

I love being able to bring up rules on PDF, as well as charts and inventories. The iPad is a crucial new entry in the world of Wargame management!

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:45 am

I recently found out one of the Miniatures Rulesets I use has a cusomized iPad version.

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:58 am

I have a pdf reader on my Ipod touch, however the screen space is a lot smaller, so you have to zoom in and move it around to read it. I use this for Memoir 44 charts (available on BGG or my DoW user page).
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:35 am

I remember walking through the Dealer's Hall at the Origins Game Expo, with sheeves of paper spreadsheets of mininature and game inventory I own, so I knew what I needed. It was a pain in the ass! Now, I'd just have my iPad handy!

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:46 am

Pages is quite handy on the Ipad as it can handle word documents as well as PDF's.
It also has the ability to export a document directly as a PDF. Using it on the Ipad I can
email the document to myself to be stored on the main computer (good backup without worrying
about syncing).

Airprinting is handy too - wireless printing through the computer to an attached printer or if you get
one, wireless printing direct to a wireless equipped printer. Goodbye cables (and good riddance).

Also for those who want it there is the Apple TV which connects through HDMI to HD televisions etc.
This lets me stream from the Ipad or my computer onto the TV. Youtube, movies etc...
Now, for those with the Ipad 2 or the latest model it also lets you use the TV as the monitor for the Ipad
itself. Game too small ? Not any more. Could be handy for gaming too - showing maps on a large screen
and so forth. Funny things Ipads. The only gadget I've ever bought and found a use for after.
My get up and go never got here in the first place

Return to “Drill Instructor”