Scanning wargame counters, and why you should do it!

Tips & Hints on Wargaming

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Scanning wargame counters, and why you should do it!

Postby Frank » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:12 pm

I used to have Gimp on my old machine, going to have to get round to downloading it again sometime. Having a Linux machine for my first Pc has made me VERY resistant to actually paying for software.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

dgibson5959

Postby dgibson5959 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Frank

I use it so infrequently that I can not give any comments or advantages about GIMP vs Photoshop (other than price difference).
I have never used a Linux machine as I did not have access to reliable internet over the past 7 years as I was overseas.
Did you have issues with Vassal or other PBEM software?
Were there any REAL problems setting up your basic machine?
What about older software? Do you run into the same issues as Windows has with running older items (DOS, Win95 etc)?
I have seen enough of Windows 8 to know that it will not do for my use and if that is the direction of future OS programs, I need to search for a viable alternative.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:09 pm

dgibson5959 wrote:Frank

I use it so infrequently that I can not give any comments or advantages about GIMP vs Photoshop (other than price difference).
I have never used a Linux machine as I did not have access to reliable internet over the past 7 years as I was overseas.
Did you have issues with Vassal or other PBEM software?
Were there any REAL problems setting up your basic machine?
What about older software? Do you run into the same issues as Windows has with running older items (DOS, Win95 etc)?
I have seen enough of Windows 8 to know that it will not do for my use and if that is the direction of future OS programs, I need to search for a viable alternative.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I am afraid I can`t give you a proper answer to most of your questions as I am a near total noob at this IT stuff. My friend was getting a new pc just as I was finishing one of those "computing for beginners" courses and passed his old one onto me. 2008/9? I didn`t even know what linux was. The version I was using, Ubuntu, was great, quite simple and with a free six monthly upgrade. I did not use Vassal or anything like that as I just used it for surfing and e-mailing, and still do.

I understand that you can download and try Linux on a Windows machine

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/how_to ... x_easy_way

though I would not like to try that, it sounds confusing but that is mainly as while I have learnt to do certain things I am not sure about the terminology.

I think I liked the earlier distro`s as the later ones seemed to be trying to look like a more mainstream os but the distro`s were usually only supported for a few years after the upgrade and I always tried to keep up so as to minimise possible problems. There has been some discussion about this in another thread in the Canteen Break section on page 2 "Whats your OS". As you can see I am not even able to provide a link to it, doing one to another site took me long enough to learn :roll:

I was really happy with my old machine, it was hand built by my friend who is an internet security guy and I would still be using Linux quite happily now if it had not given up the ghost. One of these days I WILL learn how to run that on my pc as the only advantage I can see to XP is that I can run games and commercial software on it.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:19 am

I like Infranview. It is free and has scanning options for scanning multiple sheets. I use it for most of my photo needs. It also has options for editing photos and special effects.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Green Commander
Private
Private

Postby Green Commander » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:31 pm

I know I'm late to the party on this one - I'm still exploring all of the forums. I did have something to add on this point, though:

And as far as resolution goes? Haven’t a clue on this…printing at 1200 dpi is probably unrealistic, and a lot depends on the quality of your printer, but it appears to me that for what your home needs are, normal of better quality printing should do just fine if you’re not an Anal Artist.

I used to be a news editor, for print, online, and even some glossy pieces. A resolution of 300 dpi is considered magazine-grade, and we used 200 to 250 for more porous papers (like newsprint or counters).At the size of most counters, the human eye wouldn't be able to pick out high-resolution details, anyway.
Never forget that your real adversary is the dice.

https://armymenwargaming.wordpress.com/

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:22 am

Green Commander wrote:I know I'm late to the party on this one - I'm still exploring all of the forums. I did have something to add on this point, though:

And as far as resolution goes? Haven’t a clue on this…printing at 1200 dpi is probably unrealistic, and a lot depends on the quality of your printer, but it appears to me that for what your home needs are, normal of better quality printing should do just fine if you’re not an Anal Artist.

I used to be a news editor, for print, online, and even some glossy pieces. A resolution of 300 dpi is considered magazine-grade, and we used 200 to 250 for more porous papers (like newsprint or counters).At the size of most counters, the human eye wouldn't be able to pick out high-resolution details, anyway.

Thanks for that input.....that's incredibly important and insightful, in relation to to novices trying to FIT. Awesome!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Drill Instructor”