Using Plexiglass to hold down terrain tiles

Tips & Hints on Wargaming

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Using Plexiglass to hold down terrain tiles

Postby 50th » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:36 pm

I have been using plexiglass to hold down my terrain tiles in my Memoir games for about three or four years now. I was tired of the terrain tiles shifting around when I moved the units on them. So now I put down all of the terrain tiles, including bunkers (except when Petard mortar equipped Churchill tanks might be in the scenario, because they can remove bunkers), but not including any removable terrain and minefields. I now use this technique in my Tide of Iron games too. Here is a pic of a Memoir game with the plexiglass:

you can see the plexiglass by the shine, and if you look carefully, you can see the line of the side of the sheet. This can also be useful to keep a folded map flat while you play, whether you use miniatures or counters, maps that are folded always want to bend upward somewhere. Keep them flat with a piece of plexiglass. When I bought mine, they were about $13 a sheet. The breakthrough size took most of a sheet, but you could get two standard Memoir map covers from a single sheet. (These could be used together for overlord battles),
Since the D-Day maps have come out, I have also been using them to keep the maps flat, even though the map is larger than the standard size breakthrough map, it stays flat with the plexiglass in place.

"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using Plexiglass to hold down terrain tiles

Postby Whiterook » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Nice that!

How does the glare affect your play, if at all? I've seen this used at cons and the bright lights can be a real problem. The other thing I wonder on is moving the pieces...I noted some 'drag' to sliding pieces against the plexi.

I have to admit I love the idea of this....especially for paper maps that are folded, like the Axis & Allies Miniatures War at Sea and land maps. Also great for protecting your maps at club or game night events.

I've seen folks use poster frames, s everything is self-contained and easier to setup quick. I've also seen, and have thick gauge plastic sheeting that rolls up!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:28 pm

Whiterook wrote:Nice that!

How does the glare affect your play, if at all? I've seen this used at cons and the bright lights can be a real problem. The other thing I wonder on is moving the pieces...I noted some 'drag' to sliding pieces against the plexi.

I have to admit I love the idea of this....especially for paper maps that are folded, like the Axis & Allies Miniatures War at Sea and land maps. Also great for protecting your maps at club or game night events.

I've seen folks use poster frames, s everything is self-contained and easier to setup quick. I've also seen, and have thick gauge plastic sheeting that rolls up!

Actually, I don't worry much about the glare. It don't seem to be much of a problem. The biggest problem is taking photos of your game. You have to get your angle right to minimize the glare, for example;
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:19 pm

I hadn't thought of that...glare in picture taking. Good to know.

I love the look of the clean look the plexi gives, too.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Drill Instructor”