Spreadsheets Gamer's friend revisited

Tips & Hints on Wargaming

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Spreadsheets Gamer's friend revisited

Postby 50th » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:47 am

I've been at it again! I used an excel spreadsheet to make a Battletech Mech Construction Form.
I use this to create a new mech and then use the information contained (with the critical hit chart) to transfer the information to the record sheet. You enter data in underlined cells, then select choices from lists in other cells. Things like what kind of internal structure, engine, armor, whether masc or a targeting computer is equipped, and other weapons and equipment. I also have a works worksheet that calculates the battle value of mechs. I am working next to add this to the mech construction form. If you are a battletech fan, check it out!

Mech Const.xlsx
Excel Spreadsheet Mech Construction Form
(45.72 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spreadsheets Gamer's friend revisited

Postby Whiterook » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:24 pm

Excel constantly amazes me! It's so powerful....I use it for work all the time of course, but I am amazed at what you and Scott have done with it in a wargaming setting. I need to learn a lot more of its capabilities, personally.
'Rommel...you Magnificent Bastard...I read your book!" - Gen. Patton

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:03 pm

Heh, not me. I hate spreadsheets. I rarely use them unless I have to. PowerPoint is the program I use for all my wargaming stuff.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:15 pm

What do you use powerpoint for? I am intrigued.Excel is great for NPC generation, unit construction (Battletech, Tide of Iron, and Star Trek Starship Combat Simulator games), and keeping track of player characters in RPG games.

I use it in Tide of Iron to create scenarios, for an example, check out the PDF (from excel) below:

Battle of Cisterna.pdf
Battle of Cisterna PDF
(719.53 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:34 pm

Ron, you should check out some of my AARs here on the forum! I've posted lots, including recently. All my games use virtual tables that I create using PowerPoint. It's really easy to set up a table and move pieces around in that program, and it provides places for notes.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:16 pm

Examples, examples, I am wanting an example! Besides games, I also use spreadsheets to keep information about WWII tanks and weapons. By using a pull down menu, I can switch between the metric system and English system! And I can enter data through either system, and the conversion takes place in certain cells. That is because some books list specs in metric, others in English.

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:55 am

I revisited my Battletech Mech Construction Form and saw a mistake that kept the battle value calculator from working properly. I corrected it and am re-posting it in case someone wants to try it. It may not be as accurate if you make a mech that can generate more heat points than the heat sinks can dissipate, but otherwise it's been tested and proven accurate.

Mech Const.xlsx
Mech Construction Form
(65.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:33 pm

I have been at work in Excel again! You know from my last post in this thread I use it to create mechs for Battletech. Well, I improved that spreadsheet, and came up with a vehicle construction spreadsheet as well! Both include a combat value page that calculates BV1 values (after you enter ammo tonnage, explosive ammo locations, ect). You may not know that many people that play Battletech use a newer combat value system called BV2 that was printed in the TechManual book. I don't have that book, so I use the older system. Please download and play around with these excel spreadsheets. They use drop down menus for selecting types of engines, armor, weapons, critical chart allocation (for mechs), and selecting Inner Sphere or Clan mechs or vehicles. Where there is an underline, you type information in. I hope someone on the forum can use these besides me.

Mech Const.xlsx
Latest Version!
(68.04 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

Vehicle Const.xlsx
New!
(56.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet

I am also working with another player on Facebook on a Battlemech Roster sheet to balance your forces for any scenario.

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:46 pm

I made some corrections to the Vehicle Construction spreadsheet. I found that I was coming up with the wrong weight on Turrets. I also changed things around a little to make it more readable. Check this out.

Vehicle Const.xlsx
Newest Version!
(56.06 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Drill Instructor”