Hitler Youth Today

Your Place for Discussing History (non-Wargaming)

Moderators: MAGNA, Hagen, Frizzenspark, Frank, Lucky Luke

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hitler Youth Today

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:46 pm

I'm watching a History Channel show on the rise of the Third Reich, and seeing Hitler Youth, it brings up a question I've found myself asking several times in the past:

I wonder what happened to these children?

They'd be what, in their 70's+ now? I'm sure many saw a drastic turn in thinking come across them by war's end; and some were in a position to do little more than fall grudgingly in step during the events of WWII. And scarier, many probably felt uno remorse, and possibly deep anger at loosing the war.

I've never seen it really covered. I wonder....
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Duncan

Re: Hitler Youth Today

Postby Duncan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:36 pm

My grade 11 Western Civ teacher (hm... about 34 years ago) was a Hitler Youth. He said at the time it was akin to being in the boy scouts.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:39 pm

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:06 pm

Duncan wrote:My grade 11 Western Civ teacher (hm... about 34 years ago) was a Hitler Youth. He said at the time it was akin to being in the boy scouts.

On a level, I can see how they may have felt like that....being so young, you are just trying to figure life out in so many instances; and when your elders are selling what they say things should be like to you, perhaps the developing mind uses that as foundation to explore. And I don't say this lightly....it's scary as shit.

Thanks for the vid....I'll sit down with it soonest. I appreciate opportunities to see things like this, as historical content is not necessarily readily available on TV anymore. Our 'History' channels here in the US are quickly developing into a joke.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “History Discussion Zone”