NIMITZ CONFERENCE ROOM - Occupied (Frank/Scott)

Rooms for Players to Discuss Tactics

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

NIMITZ CONFERENCE ROOM - Occupied (Frank/Scott)

Postby Whiterook » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:28 pm

Welcome to the NIMITZ CONFERENCE ROOM.

This, and the other conference rooms are used by players of games in the MWF War Room's Play by Post or email/VASSAL games.

For information on how to use a conference room, please refer to...
http://www.militarywargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=2251&p=22769&sid=f7d8dd30af8002ca36c77bb6717d9a9e&sid=f7d8dd30af8002ca36c77bb6717d9a9e#p22769

Game Masters (GM) who host any game in The War Room must pledge not to enter any conference room, other than one in which they've reserved (or been asked to join in) for a game they are playing in and not being a GM in.

This is agreed to in the honor system.

For those viewing this thread, it's a great way to 'get inside the players heads' and see how they strategize their forces' play, tactics used, and lessons learned. In a way, you get a chance to play along with them....but please keep in mind that this is just for the players indicated in the subject line, and other members should only post if the players give permission to do so in the first thread.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: NIMITZ CONFERENCE ROOM - Occupied (Frank/Scott)

Postby Frank » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:49 am

I have gone through the rules a couple of times and I think I have as good a grasp of them as I am going to get without actually playing the game so I guess we are good to go if you are ok as well.

I assume we come in on separate rafts so how do you think we do this, land close together to give each other support, or a bit apart to try and split, or, hopefully, avoid the defenders and get a run at the objectives.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:25 pm

Sorry for the delayed response, Frank. This game is just really big for me right now. I'm not sure how to get started. I have a really bad history with beach raids. Hoping to rely on your experience until we get further inland.

I don't think we can avoid Col. Ichiro's unit. Just not enough space across. But they're not as likely to be able to hold their own against our entire force combined, so maybe we should stick together. Especially since there are no other enemies for a good mile or so.

What are your thoughts?
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:24 pm

josta59 wrote: I have a really bad history with beach raids. Hoping to rely on your experience until we get further inland.

What are your thoughts?

I think we are in trouble :lol:

I have no experience with a beach assault in this type of game so I will pretty much be winging it, but, I do think we should stay close enough to support each other. I agree that we would find it hard to avoid Ichiro so it might be best to try to take his force out straightaway, or damage it as much as possible, rather than potentially leaving him in our rear.

Do you know how many rafts we will be landing in?

Having had a look through the rules it looks to me that :
1/you can not move and fire with the same tokens in the same impulse.
2/ an officer lets you activate multiple hexs.

So what about us landing in hex files D/E and G/H and moving round Ichiro with the priority player shooting at him to try to shake him and then the next one to assault.

If I have got completely the wrong end of the stick then don`t hesitate to tell me.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:32 pm

Sounds good to me! I don't know about the number of rafts.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:12 am

josta59 wrote:Sounds good to me! I don't know about the number of rafts.

Em has replied that the rafts hold as many as a standard hex, so 3 + 2 leaders.
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:27 am

Just asked Em another couple of questions that have just occurred to me.
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:06 am

Great questions!

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:56 pm

Right, I am back, as I said in the Q&A thread it has been a bad week but it looks like we have a week to plan our starting move with Em away.

SO what do you think about set-up?

How about we come in on both sides of Ichiros position, moving up through the forest to surround him and hopefully take them out. It might be a good idea to each have at least a couple of tokens in a hex facing into the jungle to safeguard what would be our flanks if we do assault Ichiro.

For my set up I have 3 characters and, 9 squads, 6 bar`s and 12 satchel charges.

What I was thinking was to form 4 platoons:
Captain,
Alpha. 2 squads with 2 bars, 3 satchel charges.
Baker. 3 squads with 3 satchel charges.

Sgt
Charlie. , 2 squads with 2 bars and 3 satchel charges.

Cpl
Delta. 2 squads with 2 bars, 3 satchel charges.

Looking at the movement chart, jungle costs 2 move points so we would not be able to do anything but move on the first turn as we only have a move of 4.

If I have got any of this wrong then please let me know, also if you think I am missing something. This game looks quite (very :roll: ) complicated

Are we going to keep our forces separate but close together? the second objective seems to be pretty much straight up the middle with the third just off to the right. Which flank did you want to take?
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:11 pm

That sounds great, thanks a lot! I agree, this game is ridiculous. At least the start of it. Hopefully it'll get easier.

I guess I'll take the right flank. Doesn't matter to me.

Mind posting in the game thread? You've thought this through carefully. Thanks.

Return to “War Leaders Conference Rooms”