JUGULA. Recruiting my Ludus.

1200 BC-1095 AD (Greek & Roman Wars)

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

JUGULA. Recruiting my Ludus.

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:37 pm

Our club has started a Jugula league and I have entered a Ludus (gladiator school). I needed a Lanista (owner) four gladiators of different types and a servitor (backroom staff). This is not only a great hand building card game with great miniatures but an excuse to get really silly, and probably quite rude, with fake Roman style names. Anyone who has read an Astorix book or watched the old UK comedy show, Up Pompeii will know what I mean.

So, I present to you the Lanista who really believes in putting bums on seats, Gluteous Maximus.

He has hired a Myrmillo (like a Roman legionary only less armour) called Prodigious.

A Retarius (net and trident) called Caster Netto.

A Secutor (like the Myrmillo but lighter armoured) who I unfortunately have not named yet.

A Hoplmachus (based on a Greek Hoplite) who I was torn between naming Achilles Tendonus or Zorba who tragically died heroically last night (at least that means I don`t have to pay his wages now, life is cheap in the arena ;) )

Waiting for a try out is a Veles (no armour, spear and shield) who looks quite Celtic with his wolf skin hat and loin cloth so I gave him some tribal tattoos which meant I just had to call him Mad Maximus, the WOAD warrior.

My Servitor is an Unctor, basically a conman who gets me extra income by selling potion made out of gladiator sweat and similar stuff. Anyone who has watched Only Fools and Horses will see why I have named him Delus Boyus.

When (if) I get some more income I will hire more servitors, posibly a Doctore (trainer) called Scipeo Ropeo or a Medicus (doctor) called Caster Oilus, or a Procurator (accountant) called Titus Aduxass.

One thing I really MUST be careful of is just how I post on this after the trouble our club had with it`s AK47 campaign when my mates Mylandis Indoodoo Liberation Front army got us some unwanted attention when a `bot misunderstood when he was talking about his _ _ _ _ forces :lol: .
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: JUGULA. Recruiting my Ludus.

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:50 pm

That is GREAT!!!!

Can I move to the UK and play in your club??????
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:38 am

We would love to have you mate :D .

The great thing about the club is that we are mainly older gamers, 25+, (that still seems young to me :roll: ) we have weeded out the rules lawyers over time and we are just a bunch of blokes who want to enjoy their gaming in as, prefferably, non politically correct way as possible.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:19 pm

That. Is. Awesome!

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:34 am

Just played my third game n the league and so far things are going reasonably well. I have hired a 5th Gladiator, a Dimacheraios (helmet, greaves, leather arm covering and two swords) and I have two that have got a promotion, my Retarius has gained +1 movement and my Myrmillo has gained a talent, which I have yet to choose. My Hoplamachus who died last game was replaced with another one who died in this game :roll:

It seems counter intuitive, but in this game you get extra experience for "biting the dust", not actually making someone else bite the dust :? . That was how my Myrmillo advanced, getting taken out but not dying immediately and surviving the butchers...sorry, Medicus table.

I should, hopefully, start making more money soon by fighting in better arena`s as I have gained 2 popularity for the Gladiator advances and that gives me a modifier to the dice roll to see the type of arena I am fighting in. At the moment all my games have been in illegal arena`s, in fact we both rolled so badly last night that we were probably in the illegal arena`s car park instead of being allowed in the arena.

I also gained 1 Glory point for the promotion, the winner of the league is the first one to 10 Glory points.
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:57 pm

The second group of gladiators is supposed to be released in November, it should have been a while ago but it seems there was a hitch with the sculpting. This group consists of the Dimacheraus I mentioned in the last post, the Sagitarius, an archer with good ranged attacks but is toast if you get into combat with him as he has no armour at all, the official Secutor model (I converted mine), and the Scissore, a heavily armoured guy with a sword and a cutting blade designed to fight the Retarius.

Unless I like the pose of the Secutor better than mine I might consider converting him into a Thraex, or Thracian, helmet, small shield, curved sword and arm and leg coverings.
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:38 pm

I'm loving this! What an amazing game...I wish there was a club nearby that played this. A few pics to whet the appetite...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:20 pm

The second batch are confirmed as coming out on the 15th, not quite the line up that was advertised though, a Provacator is included instead of the Secutor. He is the guy in the big picture above, of the main rulebook. Classed as a light gladiator he is, as the name suggests, mainly used to harass enemy glads.

http://www.grippingbeast.com/shop.php?p ... CatID=3928

Familia 2 is on the 2nd page of the list, I just could not get a more direct link to work :?
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:57 am

How's the league on this going? I'm enjoying your mini-AAR's on this!!!

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:54 am

Whiterook wrote:How's the league on this going? I'm enjoying your mini-AAR's on this!!!

To be honest I am not sure how we stand at the moment. The league finishes with the first one t get to 10 Glory Points., which is done be reaching certain levels like getting all your glads promoted from Tiro, the lowest level, to Palus, medium, to Primus, high level. Also be the standard of servitors you have managed to hire. The games are on a strictly ad hoc basis and everyone is able to stage as many combats as they want. This does not actually give much advantage for extra fight as although you can get more experience and extra revenue, you can also lose fighters and have to replace seasoned fighters with novices if you can`t afford to hire more experienced ones.

A lot of this takes money which you get from your takings for the combats, the problem is that your standing at the time, together with a 2d6 roll determines what kind of arena you fight in. The lowest level is, an Illegal arena, the next a Provincial arena, all the way up to the Colliseum. I have never fought in anything but an Illegal arena, and if it was just down to my 1d6 of the 2d6 rolled I probably would not even have been allowed in the arena, having to fight in the car park instead :lol: .

I have at least one game this coming Monday night, possibly more if we get anymore people playing. I should know more after that.
Gandalf the Grey

Return to “Ancients”